The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vision classic Kamado on Sale $399 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164944)

uncblue 07-03-2013 04:41 PM

Vision classic Kamado on Sale $399

I was in Costco in durham Nc today and it's marked down from $565 to $399. I love mine & wanted to share the love

uncblue 07-03-2013 04:44 PM

Also available same price in Ral location off Wake Forest rd. Happy Smoking

ToddM 07-03-2013 05:35 PM

Wow. I wonder if that's nation wide, I wouldn't hesitate to get one at that price. I'll have to stop by Costco to see. Thanks.

JMSetzler 07-03-2013 06:27 PM

THAT is a bargain!

CtTradArcher 07-03-2013 08:04 PM

I have been waiting and watching here in CT for them to go on sale. I will have to call tomorrow to see if they are priced the same here.

Thanks for the heads up!

uncblue 07-03-2013 08:17 PM

No worries fellas. They said sales on thru 7-7.... Do me a favor if you pull the trigger & buy 1 send me a note with a pic of your 1st cook :grin:

Just found out that they will price adjust for 1st 30 days so u may be safe to go ahead & then watch out for that price... Gonna be a PITA but I'm forced to buy another one then return that one with my original receipt since it's been over 30 days....:decision:

vaTim 07-03-2013 08:40 PM

Little brother "Kub" down to $129 from $229 also..

http://i43.tinypic.com/s0wosj.jpg

uncblue 07-03-2013 09:19 PM

Oh Wow... I've seen that before but didn't realize how awesome that could be Til I had the big guy. Gotta have that one for traveling.... Wonder where the closest Costco is that had one??? Will be calling Friday....

chuckl 07-03-2013 10:39 PM

I went to buy one this afternoon and noticed the price. I didn't pick one up because I thought it was a different model since there was the huge price difference. If it is the same grill, I'm going back on Friday and pick one up. Can you guys confirm that this is the same unit that was priced at $569? Why would they drop the price so much, are they dropping Vision?

For indirect cooking/smoking, what are do you use for a "plate setter" and where do you buy it?

Chuck

EWizza 07-03-2013 11:10 PM

Up here in Boston it's 399 too! Gonna go get the difference back. I bought mine a couple weeks ago at 598

ssv3 07-03-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckl (Post 2538560)
I went to buy one this afternoon and noticed the price. I didn't pick one up because I thought it was a different model since there was the huge price difference. If it is the same grill, I'm going back on Friday and pick one up. Can you guys confirm that this is the same unit that was priced at $569? Why would they drop the price so much, are they dropping Vision?

For indirect cooking/smoking, what are do you use for a "plate setter" and where do you buy it?

Chuck

You better grab it. Before you think twice they'll be gone. I picked up the last one for my bro last year for $399. It's the same exact grill as listed for $569. There even were a few guys that picked it up at $199 when some Costcos got stuck with them at $399. It's just the end of season for Costco and they need to clear out the summer stuff to get fall merchandise in. They're not dropping Vision it's just time to make room for other things.

chuckl 07-04-2013 06:35 PM

I'm planning to pick one up in the morning. Again, what are you guys using for a "plate setter" with the Vision grill?

Chuck

loco_engr 07-04-2013 06:41 PM

Chuckl:

Might look around here:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

HTH

EWizza 07-04-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckl (Post 2539426)
I'm planning to pick one up in the morning. Again, what are you guys using for a "plate setter" with the Vision grill?

Chuck

I grabbed to hot rolled flats of steel and bent them for the base. Then, I bought a 15" pizza pan to sit on top of the steel. Works like a charm and the total cost was < $25

ssv3 07-04-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckl (Post 2539426)

Chuck

That's good. Vision kamados are built well and a steal at that price IMHO. I use the Kamado Joe deflector and Pizza stone. It set me back about $80 but well worth. I took that stone about 1000* if not more without issues. Works awesome and the KJ stones are of excellent quality. It's sits a tad bit high on my Vision but you can dremel some notches like the KJ. I chose to leave it alone. It doesnt impact the lid closure or anything even with dual racks in place.

Here is a side shot on how it sits:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y...110_135109.jpg

Good luck!

uncblue 07-04-2013 10:51 PM

@ Chuckl - I bought the vision stone from Home Depot for I think $49. Works great and sits lower than the lip. I've only had it 2 mths and the metal bracket does show some rust but that area gets super heated. For pizzas, I leave lava stone on deflector in bottom and do a 2ns stone up on 2nd tier of rack. Works great....

chuckl 07-04-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EWizza (Post 2539446)
I grabbed to hot rolled flats of steel and bent them for the base. Then, I bought a 15" pizza pan to sit on top of the steel. Works like a charm and the total cost was < $25

Did you use a metal pizza pan? I need something quick, the wife and daughter want ribs Monday.

Chuck

chuckl 07-05-2013 07:29 PM

I picked one up today, now I just need to fix up a plate setter.

uncblue 07-05-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckl (Post 2540546)
I picked one up today, now I just need to fix up a plate setter.

Congrats. I went back today & got the price adjustment. Now if I only I could figure out a way to get the small Kub without having to drive all the way to Maryland 8-(

chuckl 07-09-2013 08:28 PM

I've done ribs and ribeye roast on the grill and find it extremely hard to maintain temperature. I have a BGE in Florida so I do know how to run one. I use a Party Q to control temperature, but because of air leaks around the bottom vent, it is very difficult to maintain temperature. On the BGE, it does a wonderful job. I guess more experimenting is in order.

uncblue 07-09-2013 09:57 PM

Can u see a black rubber seal around your bottom vent? Maybe I got lucky as mine is airtight. I can see the seal budging out from being tight. Guess easiest way to check how much airless u have us to close off both vents. If it still burns, you're not sealed. I've read on other forums that people put a bead of silicon around the bottom vent.

slammmed 07-09-2013 10:37 PM

man im really torn on this grill at $400. I could probably sell my WSM 18" for $100 plus ive got a weber Q for sale but don't know if I could get the wife to let me invest in yet another grill.

if only she could be more into pizza or something hmm...

EWizza 07-10-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckl (Post 2539649)
Did you use a metal pizza pan? I need something quick, the wife and daughter want ribs Monday.

Chuck

I did. I got the pan at bedbathandbeyond.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=16794104

EWizza 07-10-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncblue (Post 2545711)
Can u see a black rubber seal around your bottom vent? Maybe I got lucky as mine is airtight. I can see the seal budging out from being tight. Guess easiest way to check how much airless u have us to close off both vents. If it still burns, you're not sealed. I've read on other forums that people put a bead of silicon around the bottom vent.

Thought mine was sealed tight but I did decide to use some RTV silicone to seal the bottom vent. I get much better control now. I used the copper 700F RTV sealant.

slammmed 07-10-2013 12:04 PM

I think I've committed on friday to picking one of these up if still available on friday.

Has anyone use an ATC on one of these?

EWizza 07-10-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammmed (Post 2546282)
I think I've committed on friday to picking one of these up if still available on friday.

Has anyone use an ATC on one of these?

I have a partyQ that I have used on this and it worked like a charm. The temps stayed pretty consistent but it does burn a lot more fuel.

Last overnight smoke I did I skipped the partyQ and just set the vents. I relied on my maverick to let me know if the temp was off - got no alarms and grill was @ 225 when I got up.

But yes, the 'Q worked well the times I have used it.

Drunk Monkey 07-10-2013 12:17 PM

Some good info in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=133568

Moose 07-10-2013 01:45 PM

I just picked mine up on Sunday. Here's pics:

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2a65871b.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb6e53206.jpg

I have to say, I was really impressed with the quality of this Kamado, in every respect, including how well it was packed. Of course the proof is in the pudding and I'll know for sure when I put it through its paces, but from what I can see, even $599 seems to be a great deal on this, and at $399, it's beyond a steal.

slammmed 07-10-2013 01:53 PM

man that's a purdy grill!

TTNuge 07-10-2013 04:26 PM

Any idea if these are still on sale? Won't get back from vacation until next week unfortunately.

drjiveturkey 07-10-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckl (Post 2545590)
I've done ribs and ribeye roast on the grill and find it extremely hard to maintain temperature. I have a BGE in Florida so I do know how to run one. I use a Party Q to control temperature, but because of air leaks around the bottom vent, it is very difficult to maintain temperature. On the BGE, it does a wonderful job. I guess more experimenting is in order.

When did you buy yours? They made some updates to the grill. There is a better sealant around the vents and the temp gauge goes to 800 (or maybe higher Im too lazy to go outside to check)

chuckl 07-10-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjiveturkey (Post 2546667)
When did you buy yours? They made some updates to the grill. There is a better sealant around the vents and the temp gauge goes to 800 (or maybe higher Im too lazy to go outside to check)

Bought the smoker at Costco...$399. The Party Q is sold by BBQ Guru http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Party%20Q

chuckl 07-16-2013 08:09 PM

I sealed around the perimeter of the bottom vent today and noticed an open gap between the lid and body of the smoker. The shock absorber/stop was holding it open enough to easily slide a piece of paper through the opening. I removed the absorber and now the lid closes completely. I'm doing some ribs tomorrow, hopefully the temperature will be easier to control.

Chuck

aawa 07-17-2013 08:02 AM

I stopped by our local Costco and the Vision wasn't onsale yet. I think I might have to wait till later in the summer season.

SmokerKing 07-17-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 2554703)
I stopped by our local Costco and the Vision wasn't onsale yet. I think I might have to wait till later in the summer season.

I stopped in last weekend and checked one out at my local Costco, still $599

The ceramic seems to be made of a lighter, brittle material than the BGE. One of the set plates was broken inside and you could see the material, the upper dome edge as also chipped up, the side tables are not level and don't feel like they'll support much weight.

Exhaust vent seems ok, intake vent did not seal well at all, very loose and a gap between the vent and the base. Hinge looked sturdy and the nest looked ok.

Steve Z 07-17-2013 08:21 AM

They had two in the box at $399 at the Costco in Covington, wa as of Sunday.

george58 07-17-2013 08:46 AM

They are now $399 in MA. and in New Hampsire also. I just picked mine up in Nashua, no tax. They seem to only have a few in each location though.

They are also selling Traeger pellet cookers.

hockeyfox 07-17-2013 09:26 AM

Been to 3 Costco's in the Minneapolis area and are still at their regular price, and never did to on sale. Not many on the floor either do I doubt I will be so lucky to see a price ending in $xxx.97.

slammmed 07-17-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokerKing (Post 2554711)
I stopped in last weekend and checked one out at my local Costco, still $599

The ceramic seems to be made of a lighter, brittle material than the BGE. One of the set plates was broken inside and you could see the material, the upper dome edge as also chipped up, the side tables are not level and don't feel like they'll support much weight.

Exhaust vent seems ok, intake vent did not seal well at all, very loose and a gap between the vent and the base. Hinge looked sturdy and the nest looked ok.

I picked one up, didn't notice anything on the inside but it works really well. The side tables definitely are not designed to hold a ton of weight but they held 10lbs of whole chickens just fine.

Smokeat 07-17-2013 10:48 AM

Maybe I should take mine out of the box? I am thankful that I bought it, but I have a lot going on right now, and have not moved it since I got it in the back yard. Hell, it's still strapped to the dolly!

Here is the thread that I started that got others here to help me decide to buy my Vision Kamado: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=165470

pal251 07-17-2013 12:10 PM

Ah I am jealous. Our nearest Costco is about 2.5 hours one way. I'll trade you guys a ranch kettle for one :)

MarshallCountyMS 07-17-2013 12:44 PM

They are still $569 here. Im calling and checking that plus the inventory every day... Soon as they hit the 400's (hopefully) im pulling the trigger

parski 07-17-2013 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am using the Oneida large pizza stone with rack. $14.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond, until The one from Vision Grills is back in stock.

uncblue 07-18-2013 02:26 PM

Hey all...Glad to see that the info is helping so many brethern...Hopefully you'll be able to get the ultimate snag @ $399...

I wanted to update on the Lava stone and Vision's customer service...So I've got to say that I'm not a fan of the Vision stone..Ive had it for about 90 days & it's developed a couple small cracks...they come from small holes in the porous stone on the perimeter..Ive been ubber diligient on keeping the stone in from start to finish to prevent sudden temp change fractures..I also keep it covered with foil so I dont have to scrub it or put at high heat to clean it off...Not huge cracks yet but confident that they'll spread with use...

I emailed them Mon and didnt get a response yet so I just called...They understood my frustration and are hooking me up..I declined a replacement stone since it's pourous and has the holes in it (which I think will collect cornmeal and burn with pizza)...I'd like to have a stone like the Kamado Joe that I could actually do pizza on... I'll likey do the alteration so it'll sit below bowl level... I've also cleaned the upper vent several times and during a recent high temp cook, the plastic tab kind of bent a little from being stuck from some gunk...

Sooo in leiu of a new stone, they're sending me for FREE the cast iron top vent from the M series & throwing in a charcoal starter for my troubles...

Still a very satisfied customer and spreading the word on the grills...Only problem I'm having now is that I want to grill way more then we can eat & my pants are starting to be way to snug...:doh:

uncblue 07-25-2013 11:09 AM

Good morning all..Just thought I'd post up that Vision came through as promised and Fed Ex just dropped off the cast iron top vent and charcoal starter... Glad to see that their customer service is spot on... Loving the value & grilling fun that the Vision has brought to my family & friends....