• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

American Royal Open questions

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was just on the AR webpage and I admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed at the number of decisions that I will need to make. I have no idea about lot spaces and all that jazz. For those of you who have been there - is there anything you can tell me to help me fill out these forms? Do I really need to hire a porta potty? Should I be specific about which lot I want? Why would I want straw bales? etc. Thanks in advance

I would defiantly suggest a porta-potty. Its always clean and nobody else can use it, You should see what the public ones look like after Friday night. If this is your first time there you probably wont have much of a choice of lot or spot for that matter. I would stay away from the straw, some people use it to line there spots but the stuff gets everywhere and our neighbors caught on fire last year and the fire department had to come put it out.

Yes, get a port-a-let. We got one last year and was glad we had it. If you want an
experience, stay on the darkside, otherwise I would stay closer to kemper.
Straw bales are to keep the flow of people and drunks from entering your site. They also start picking up the water, urine, vomit and what ever else is flowing down the lot.
Good luck on your search.

Don't forget a lock for your port-o-pisser. If not kept locked up, passer-byers will use it.

Go with the porta-pot, bring a lock. Get some straw to block off your site, unless you will have enough stuff to do it yourself.

It's not as bad as some of the stories that you will probably hear, but it can be a challenge on Friday night.

There was a great thread with tons of questions from first timers like ourselves last year.....just searched for it and can't find it? I'll keep looking, any help?? Jorge??

There was a great thread with tons of questions from first timers like ourselves last year.....just searched for it and can't find it? I'll keep looking, any help?? Jorge??

It's hiding in the back. I'll give it a cleaning and move it back out front in a day or two.

also, if you have a large canopy (I'm not sure, but I THINK bigger than 12x12) you will be forced to buy a permit from the fire department (or take it down).

IMHO, Port-o-poty is a MUST unless you have a rig with a bathroom, and holding tanks big enough for 4 days.

Don't forget a lock for your port-o-pisser. If not kept locked up, passer-byers will use it.

If it's a lock with a combo code...don't forget the code......:rolleyes::icon_blush:

C'mon, Scottie. Who would want to steal one of my briskets! :)
After hearing your story I'm bringing my Hank Aaron wooden baseball bat as well!

For sure you'll want a port-a-potty with lock. Tonto almost got a drunken visitor to pay $50 to take a much needed leak:clap2:

As for the straw - we are still finding bits of straw all over the Smo Sco Mo Ho. Find a better way to blocade the drunks.

As Tonto said last year: Thousands of bales of straw; copious amounts of booze and roaring fires all around - hmmmmmm:idea:

I was there with the Smoking Scotsmen team last year.
A video camera would be a bonus as to what the folks who imbibed do.
If memory serves me correctly.....75 thousand folks attend the parties on Friday nite.
Along with the fireworks its all a real eye opener IMHO.
Thank God I didn't have to drive after the party folks hit the streets.

If it's a lock with a combo code...don't forget the code......:rolleyes::icon_blush:
I'd forget a combination in a heartbeat! We hung/hid keys on my trailer and it worked well for us.

The whole ARI was a contest I'll always remember, lots of fun and a bucket list item for sure :thumb:

I'm looking forward to going back this year as a competitor...we'll be in the invitational and the open....the first year was full of surprises, now I understand more what to expect. It is kind of stressful to get your Saturday turn ins turned in and go right to prepping your Sunday turn in meat before awards at 5PM. By 8 Sat night, I was ready to go home.... :yield:

Get the portapot, I'd suggest to move it to the back part of your area as well. I haven't checked the website, but if thet are doing the Kingsford challenge again, buy into it. You just never know, huh, Cracker? :doh: If you are a coffee drinker, save up your large coffee cans, mix up some redi-crete and stick you a PVC pipe in it, make your own barriers to rope off your area.

BTW....expect to meet some where in the neigborhood of 75-100 Brethren while you are there (and this might be a low guestamation!)

See you there!

Back