The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My first post, my first smoke. With pictures. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112826)

DitkaFan 08-02-2011 12:54 PM

My first post, my first smoke. With pictures.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I'm new here and love the forum. I've traditionally been a griller that uses his Weber kettle to also smoke, I've done plenty of indirect grilling of ribs, chicken etc...and make some mean recipes for grilling but I just finally got my WSM last weekend. I did a ton of research on what techniques to use (Minion's for example) and have already had my rubs and sauces down, but this was my first smoking session and I have to say it went quite well! Probably would have brined the pork shoulder though. It wasn't dry per say, I just wasn't 100% satisfied with the consistency. The flavor and rub were great, really smokey, just didn't fall apart as hoped. Anyway, here's the pictures, enjoy and feel free to offer any advice for future smoking.

deguerre 08-02-2011 12:57 PM

VERY nice color and good bark. What temp was it when you took it off and how long did you let it rest?

DitkaFan 08-02-2011 12:57 PM

Here was the chicken I did on the top rack just to use up space. It turned out great. Mesquite rub, hickory wood for smoke.

DitkaFan 08-02-2011 01:00 PM

The chicken picture wouldn't upload for some reason. Oh well, that was the best one haha. I cruised right about 240 degrees for the most part. It hit 250 a couple of times and got as low as 225, but I maintained. Oops, I just realized you meant what temp was the pork. I got an internal read of 170 and pulled it off. I wrapped in foil and let it rest about 25 minutes. Couldn't wait the full 30! Thanks for the reply!

JMSetzler 08-02-2011 01:00 PM

Welcome to the WSM family! I love mine. It cooks very well and is very easy to maintain...

deguerre 08-02-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DitkaFan (Post 1734913)
The chicken picture wouldn't upload for some reason. Oh well, that was the best one haha. I cruised right about 240 degrees for the most part. It hit 250 a couple of times and got as low as 225, but I maintained. Oops, I just realized you meant what temp was the pork. I got an internal read of 170 and pulled it off. I wrapped in foil and let it rest about 25 minutes. Couldn't wait the full 30! Thanks for the reply!

There you go, the IT was probably too low. Mine usually go anywhere from 195 to 205 +/- before they're ready for pulling.

padawan 08-02-2011 01:06 PM

So Hello thats a nice Bark

cbpeck 08-02-2011 01:09 PM

Congrats on your new cooker! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

The pork probably wasn't tender because you pulled it off at 170. Most folks here cook them to a minimum of 190, some over 200. It depends a little on the Q'er & a little on the shoulder, but 170 is definitely early. Most people don't brine pork shoulders because they can begin to take on the flavor & consistency of ham, and that's not what we're going for. Give it another shot... I'd just rub it, set it, and forget it until it hits at least 190 internal. You can also cook it a little hotter with a cooker temp of 275 without doing any harm.

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing with my first brisket. Speaking of which, I need to try that again. :-D

Big slick 08-02-2011 01:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. Yeah as mentioned above you really want to cook them till they hit an internal temp of about 200. I started wrapping mine in foil when they hit the 175 range and let them cook in their own juices for the last 25 degrees. Plus, it speeds up the cooking process and the meat is so tender it practically falls apart.

Big A 08-02-2011 01:14 PM

They will only get better from here.I still smoke on my kettle.I have WSM envy these days.Nice smoke ring on that pork!Welcome to the forum:thumb:

aquablue22 08-02-2011 01:37 PM

Just keep "practicing" that's the best part of this madness, you can practice, practice, practice. Welcome and it looks good!

jcpetro97 08-02-2011 01:40 PM

The more you do it, the better you will get. I don't have a WSM, but am getting one soon. I find that with most of the things I have tried, they keep getting better and better... congrats!!

el_matt 08-02-2011 01:44 PM

That does look fine. It took me a while to wait until the 190-200 mark. I always thought the bark was burned!! As soon as I make a great PP, the next one comes out a bit dry. Practice makes perfect.

Matt

bigabyte 08-02-2011 01:47 PM

Good advice here about letting it cook longer. Welcome to the site, there is so much great info here you will never regret finding this place.

hamiltont 08-02-2011 02:02 PM

Can't say much more than what's already been said except, Welcome to this crazy addiction... Cheers!!!