Competition Briquette Report w/Pron & Food Pron

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is ve
I picket up a 12# bag at Home Depot the other day, it ran about 9 bucks + or -. I decided to try it out in the drum, where I am pretty much still a rookie. I started with 5# of the briquettes, 1 each fist sized chunk of Oak, Hickory & Pecan in the fire basket. In the Chimney I filled it about 3/4 with RO lump, got it going good and put it over the combo in the fire basket. I had a little trouble dialing in the temp to 275, but when I did I tossed on a couple of roasts. Now I think they may have been Chuckies, but I'm really not sure. I figured whatever they were I would cook 'em like butts and make BBQ Beef out of them. It took about 3.5 hours to get to 165, then I bagged and foiled them with some bullion and spices and put them back in the smoker at a higher temp, about 350.

The fire basket was burning steady, but I still had plenty of coals left so I figured, "what the heck". I had some Turkey legs thawed, so I put them on also after the foiled beef had been back on for about 2 hours. I pulled the beef out an hour later, a total of 6.5 hours and it shredded nicely as you can see.

The first two pictures are of the coal basket and ashe residue after about 7 hours or so. Ionly added 1 more chunk of oak when I took the foiled beef off, figuring the Turkey Legs could use a little more flavor. All in all I am happy with Kingsfors new product, now I gotta figure out if the higher price is worth it.

I left the lid not completly covering the drum while I went inside to rest the beef and pull it. I went back out about 25 minnutes later and the coals and remaining wood had ignited and I was getting a crisp smoke on the legs. I finally pulled the legs after we had eaten the beef. They were at 172 and juicy as all get out. We'll have those tomorrow I think.

Attachments

• bbqbeef & turkeylegs 007.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 007.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 243
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 008.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 008.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 243
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 001.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 242
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 005.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 244
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 006.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 006.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 244
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 002.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 002.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 241
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 003.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 003.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 240
  • bbqbeef & turkeylegs 010.jpg
    bbqbeef & turkeylegs 010.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 243
Looks good. Thanks for the report. Do you think you got the same burn per dollar as with your regular charcoal?

Good lookin legs. It sure is hard to beat a smoked turkey leg.

By looking at everyones location it looks like the new Kingsfords are getting closer to Texas. I went to Home Depot yesterday but they didn't have any. I asked the guy in that dept. but he hasn't heard about them but would "LOOK INTO IT".

I have not used briquettes yet but those do sound pretty good.
The bird legs definitely look good.

Looks good. Thanks for the report. Do you think you got the same burn per dollar as with your regular charcoal?

Not even close. I usually use regular Kingsford bought in the 21# twin pack. I will have to give the Comp. a go in the WSM (where I am most experieiinced) for a fair comparrison. I suspect the only advantage(s) to the Comp. is less ash means less cleanup, no biggy for me as I have the kids clean the cookers. As to whether it burns hotter or longer I will have to wait for the WSM trial to determine. I probably should have used the WSM for this cook, but I wanted to gain some experience on the drum.

Nice pron, how do you like the thermometer I see in the picture? I've got one just like it and think it's just as good as a thermapen.

I likey! It reaches temp in less than 5 seconds, and I guess if you're in more of a hurry than that you ought to modify your caffiene intake.:wink:

Those drumsticks look they are Da Bomb. The beef roast looks good, too. Nice job, DD.

Interesting about the comp Charcoal. Our Home Depot has a bin area for it and it never came in. I noticed they took the sign down. I need to find out why.

I got two bags the other day at HD up here in Norcal. Have not tried it yet, but it will have to be a whole lot better then the regular Kingford to make it worth while with that price difference. It was $9 for 12 lbs or 0.75 per pound the regular was $15 for 41 lbs or 0.37 per pound. For twice the price it better be better. Hope to try on some ribs later this week.

Good lookin' eats right there! With that tribe you've got, something almost always has to be cooking :rolleyes:. Now if you could just gethe boys to get jobs ................ :biggrin:.

I am so glad that the drum is working for ya, not much of a learning curve before great Q comes out!
The food looks awsome!

Hey, tell drum 2 drum 1 and drum 3 say hi :)

Back