The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Biggest/most respected bbq comp? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152146)

Trumpstylz 01-22-2013 08:18 PM

Biggest/most respected bbq comp?

What would you say is the biggest? Most respectable (Cuz I know a lot of time the one with the largest attendance can be more of a marketing/tourist thing)? Jack daniels? Memphis in May?

Offthehook 01-22-2013 08:28 PM

I would say the jack

Funtimebbq 01-22-2013 09:18 PM

Not the biggest in team count but you can't argue with the prestige of King of the Smoker.

boogiesnap 01-22-2013 09:29 PM

most respectable, i might say sam's national. all master judges, all teams top 10 or better from all regions more than once.

most pretigious, i'd say jack...damn how can you deny competing against teams that won seven or more GC's in a season just to be there. that's big stuff fella's.

Big Poppa 01-22-2013 09:38 PM

I say the American Royal Invitational...hehehe seriously I thought that before we won it all champions...great judging no celebrity or customer judges.

biggs98 01-22-2013 09:47 PM

It would have to be hands down WILLIEPALOOZA!!!! :becky:

Muzzlebrake 01-22-2013 09:56 PM

KCBS, The Royal is the biggest and along with The Jack arguably the most prestigious. I think that while you can certainly add Sam's Club and now King of the Smoker to the discussion they are new events and it will take some time before they reach the same level as The Royal and Jack which just celebrated their 33rd and 24th year respectively.

As far as other sanctioning bodies the Houston Livestock Rodeo and Memphis In May contests are also considered very prestigious trophies.

I'm sure I'm leaving 1 or 2 out but those are the ones that come to mind right off the bat.

boogiesnap 01-22-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Poppa (Post 2338564)
I say the American Royal Invitational...hehehe seriously I thought that before we won it all champions...great judging no celebrity or customer judges.

without a doubt, that for sure is one of them!

OP topic slide, maybe, but, another way to pose the question might be, as a competitor, which big contest would want to GC? royal, jack, sams, MIM?

answers to that might give a better perspective as to what is perceived as the biggest/most prestigious etc.

but really, there are those contests that the best of the best earned attendance and you can't quantify how great they are.

with that right now, i'd say jack or royal if i could choose one to put my name with. :rolleyes:

Neonnblack 01-22-2013 10:02 PM

hey guys. New guy here, and its definitely the Best in the West Rib Cookoff. Shameless first post, i know.

Scottie 01-22-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Poppa (Post 2338564)

Pffffttttttt...

boogiesnap 01-22-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neonnblack (Post 2338579)
hey guys. New guy here, and its definitely the Best in the West Rib Cookoff. Shameless first post, i know.

my plane ticket is already booked. any leads on open hotel rooms?:tongue:

boogiesnap 01-22-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 2338580)
Pffffttttttt...

without steve around somebodies gotta do it. :cry:

Neonnblack 01-22-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 2338583)
my plane ticket is already booked. any leads on open hotel rooms?:tongue:

Yeah, book it last year! lol, but no not really. You either gotta be really early or you gotta be ready to pay a premium even for crap hotels/motels. Not me though! :-D

Big Poppa 01-23-2013 12:24 AM

Scottie way back when you won the jack that was probably number one. Way back

Hawg Father of Seoul 01-23-2013 06:56 AM

Stop kidding around guys, It's the Jack.