Scoring detail, what do you look for

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just got my scoring detail from the GAB. We go through and average every category and we improved alot from our last contest. What are some of the things everyone looks at from scores from comp to comp?

from comp to comp, consistency and trends over 5 or more contests. Especially in taste - does it look like people are swinging away from sweet or hot depending on how you cook. You really can't just compare one contest to the next as you could just get "bad" tables at one. Now "bad" doesn't mean bad judges it means that their taste is different from the norm of judges. Again that's assuming the there's a norm for judges.

Appearance - did you do something different and if so how was it received. Did you do exactly the same thing and the scores were significantly (2) higher or lower. That type of stuff.

It's hard to rend tenderness from scores. You already know if it was better/worse or the same so I just shrug off differences.

from comp to comp, consistency and trends over 5 or more contests. Especially in taste - does it look like people are swinging away from sweet or hot depending on how you cook. You really can't just compare one contest to the next as you could just get "bad" tables at one. Now "bad" doesn't mean bad judges it means that their taste is different from the norm of judges. Again that's assuming the there's a norm for judges.

Appearance - did you do something different and if so how was it received. Did you do exactly the same thing and the scores were significantly (2) higher or lower. That type of stuff.

It's hard to rend tenderness from scores. You already know if it was better/worse or the same so I just shrug off differences.

Ford thanks for the feedback. We made some significant improvements at the GAB so we will stick to our guns and make little tweaks here and there.

Back