Backyard/Patio Division

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We did Backyard twice last year to get ready to take a shot in the Pro Division which is coming up in a few weeks. Both of the contests were Ribs, and Chicken only for the Backyard. Is this a KCBS rule or is it up to the organizer?

I would think it would be more fun if there were four categories just like the Pro side. The explanation I got was that most people starting out don't have the equipment to do a butt and brisket, or the "know how".

So why couldn't they have lets say flank steak and pork tenderloin in place of the brisket and butt? They will both cook pretty fast, and shouldn't take any more equipment.

Or do you think that ribs and chicken are challenge enough by themselves?

KCBS has pretty strict rules about what is needed in a contest they sanction and they don't sanction backyard contests. So, yes, it is up to the organizer. Out here tri-tip gets added to the mix usually, to replace brisket in events like this. But sometimes it may just be a rib cookoff.

The main problem with these events is you don't always know what the judges will be looking for, since it isn't governed by any particular set of rules.

But they are just for fun, and meant to be easy to enter and compete in for the typical backyard cook who likes to spend an afternoon sitting by their smoker or grill.

"Back Yard" divisions are not part of the KCBS standard but many KCBS sanctioned contests have them. I've judged several and have been impressed at how close some of the "amateurs" can get. The organizers of two contests in NC and GA told me the back yard entries filled up quickly (most contests have limited space and, of course, number of judges willing to judge back yard).

I just would like to see more teams coming out and competing in Backyard, because usually that is where the People's Choice category seems be held. And the money from that goes to whatever charity the event benefits.

Back