The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sauced Pork (merged) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14354)

Sawdustguy 11-16-2005 09:19 PM

Sauced Pork

How many sauce their pork sholder entry in competition? This weekend we will try a recipe that we think stands very well on it's own but if everyone else sauces, well.......

BrooklynQ 11-16-2005 09:25 PM

Saucing depends on region and what you think the judges will like. But of course, if you have a recipe that stands well on it's own, I'd give it a shot in a contest. But remember, IMHO, judges like sweeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!

Jeff_in_KC 11-16-2005 09:25 PM

I've done it both ways. Scores have climbed a bit when I do LIGHTLY sauce. To add some shine, Wayne had me sauce the bark when I submitted the chunks surrounding the pulled pork pile. I mixed a tiny amount into the pulled pork, basically pouring a little in my gloved hands and working into about a pound or so of the pulled. We thought it rocked. Two judges did not.

Sawdustguy 11-16-2005 10:16 PM

Thanks guys. I will let you know how the recipe works out. Qing the whole shooting match this weekend for practice (brisket, butt, ribs and chicken) and will have some friends grade it. Gonna be cold out there Friday night. It may not be the most accurate measure of how good it is but they will be brutally honest with us if we ask them to be.

BrooklynQ 11-16-2005 10:18 PM

Actually, the inclemment weather will help you learn. There's no guarntee of good weather at a contest and you need to be able to produce in all conditions. When's turn-in?

Jeff_in_KC 11-16-2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Actually, the inclemment weather will help you learn. There's no guarntee of good weather at a contest and you need to be able to produce in all conditions. When's turn-in?

Amen, Rob! My last one was proof of that! Hope I NEVER have such a cold event! Heat is ok... cold for Qing sucks!

Bigmista 11-17-2005 12:14 AM

May suggest a sprinkle of apple cider vinegar to "brighten up" you pork? Even try mixing some in with your sauce.

I'm not a competitor but it worked for me at home. Just a suggestion...

rbsnwngs 11-17-2005 06:47 AM

Just point me in the right direction (time and place) and i'll give you a CBJ's opinion
I'll bring the beer

VitaminQ 11-17-2005 08:11 AM

I'm with Mista- though I don't complete either. I usually use whatever mop I've got handy (usually cider vinegar, apple juice, worcestershire and maybe beer) with a some rub mixed in. I just pour a little bit at a time as I'm pulling. It adds moisture and a little flavor. I feel like if I can identify the sauce then I've used too much.

MoKanMeathead 11-17-2005 08:38 AM

In this area sauce seems to be the norm. Becareful not to over power the meat - remember it is a meat contest. As Shohn said if you can identify the sauce it is probably too heavy. We use just a touch of Blue Hog Tennesse Red on pulled pork and the Slab's sauce on slices.

BTW sliced pork is very popular in this area as well. I judged a contest this summer and all 6 entries were sliced, most with some puilled or chunked around the slices.

nmayeux 11-17-2005 09:30 AM

Someone (I think it was Dave), once said that pork must be sauced to score well. I prefer mine unsauced, but will do what I have to, to score well.

chad 11-17-2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmayeux
Someone (I think it was Dave), once said that pork must be sauced to score well. I prefer mine unsauced, but will do what I have to, to score well.

That's a generality!

We've tried it "plain", sauced, sweetened with vinegar finishing sauce, etc. There is no "magic bullet" - at least not that I've discovered. The "norm" seems to be lightly sauced - especially if you can get a nice shine or "sheen".

As MoKan opined - sliced pork is being turned in more often. I've seen it at a couple of events I've judged.

Jeff_in_KC 11-17-2005 11:25 AM

Until I learn the best way to slice it, I'll have to stick with pulled. Hey Wayne... :biggrin:

But I do want to try it that way for a few turn-ins.

rookiedad 11-17-2005 01:08 PM

i like apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, brown sugar and a tap of cinnamon. i sometimes throw in clarified butter too.
phil

ulikadawgs 11-17-2005 03:27 PM

Sauce

The other post about sauced pork made me wonder what types of sauce people use in competitions. Is it a rule that you have to make your own sauce? I have some sauce that I really like that I buy from a bbq joint and I wanted to know if I could use this in a competition.