The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need opinions (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176495)

Diesel Dave 12-01-2013 11:37 AM

Need opinions

Okay I've got 2 brisket cooks to do 2 days apart.
Now I'm considering doing 2 cooks as I have the time to do the L&S twice.
If I do this I'm gonna be one tired puppy as the one is a lunch meal and the other is a dinner meal.
Now the first is for family, about 22 people, and the second is for the local Rotary Int. group.
Now the people from Rotary have heard how good my brisket is and are lookin forward to it. Also this will be a judgment for me doing Q's for them in the future at other gatherings. Which will be paid for events.

If I do both at the same time, how would you guys/gals go about cooling it fast enough and what would be the best way to reheat a whole packer and keep the bark and flavor as well as not dry it out?

Thanks everyone

Smoke Dawg 12-01-2013 01:14 PM

Just suck it up and do two cooks! Sleep is overrated :loco:

Set a timer and take 30 minute naps if needed

LMAJ 12-01-2013 01:23 PM

You are only cooking one brisket for 22 people?? :roll:

If you need to do separate cooks, I would leave the one for day 2 whole and reheat it in a slow oven. Some folks will tell you to vacuseal then boil in the bag. That works well too.
IMHO it is always better the day it's cooked, but I am also a big fan of sleep...

Pyle's BBQ 12-01-2013 01:29 PM

You can cook them and pull them just befor they are done. Cook to 190 or so and pull then cool. Keep them whole. I put mine in a pan and cover with foil and reheat them at about 350-400. I put a thermometer in the thickest part. For you I would set the temp at 160 and check. If not probing tender reset to 180 and check at that point. I don't add any liquid. You will have drippings when you are done. These can be made into a sauce. Brisket packer will take abut 4 hours to reheat.

I forgot to ask, are these the same day?

Diesel Dave 12-01-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg (Post 2714504)
Just suck it up and do two cooks! Sleep is overrated :loco:

Set a timer and take 30 minute naps if needed

Hod did I know that would be the first answer :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMAJ (Post 2714518)
You are only cooking one brisket for 22 people?? :roll:

If you need to do separate cooks, I would leave the one for day 2 whole and reheat it in a slow oven. Some folks will tell you to vacuseal then boil in the bag. That works well too.
IMHO it is always better the day it's cooked, but I am also a big fan of sleep...

No I'm doing 2 for the first cook and 1 for the second one as so far there are only 12 people. I'm thinkin you're right and I'll have to do 2 cooks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2714521)
You can cook them and pull them just befor they are done. Cook to 190 or so and pull then cool. Keep them whole. I put mine in a pan and cover with foil and reheat them at about 350-400. I put a thermometer in the thickest part. For you I would set the temp at 160 and check. If not probing tender reset to 180 and check at that point. I don't add any liquid. You will have drippings when you are done. These can be made into a sauce. Brisket packer will take abut 4 hours to reheat.

I forgot to ask, are these the same day?

Thanks, they're 2 days apart. So I'll probably go 2 cooks but if I have 2 in the same day I'll deffinetly use the plan you laid out.

Thanks a lot

Diesel Dave 12-03-2013 09:43 AM

OK now my mom, who's hosting both parties, says I'm cookin too much meat.

I'm figuring 2 packers, 15+ lbs each, for both cooks.
There are 18 adults at the family Christmas party and now it's up to 20 adults at the second party. She's saying people don't eat that much meat :roll:
I'm figuring about 3 lbs waste with trimming and then more loss in weight with cooking.

Additional opinions please

Plus I get the left overs for chilli and stuff bwahahahahahahaha

Ron_L 12-03-2013 09:52 AM

Most people figure about a 50% yield, so if you start out with a 15 lb brisket you'll end up with 7.5 lbs of cooked meat after trimming and loss during cooking. You may get more than that, but that's a good number to use.

Also, if the only meat is the brisket I'd figure 1/3 lb per serving, so a 15 lb brisket will yield around 22 servings.

Garyclaw 12-03-2013 09:55 AM

I'm sure your Mom is a real nice lady, Dave....but "TO MUCH MEAT"?!??? :-D

Doggy Bags for everyone! (if needed)

colonel00 12-03-2013 10:02 AM

Um, why the farm is this in the WoodFark? This is way too on topic for this place. Just sayin'...

Diesel Dave 12-03-2013 10:03 AM

Thanks Ron I really appreciate the info. I just worry about running out.

Gary I'm with ya on that!!! there's really NEVER too much, mom's not a meat eater

Ron_L 12-03-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 2716748)
Um, why the farm is this in the WoodFark? This is way too on topic for this place. Just sayin'...

I didn't even notice where it was :oops:

Engaging transporter in 3... 2... 1...

Diesel Dave 12-03-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 2716748)

Because I'm waiting on you too farm it up :roll:

Ron_L 12-03-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave (Post 2716749)
Thanks Ron I really appreciate the info. I just worry about running out.

I do too, so I always cook too much!

colonel00 12-03-2013 10:06 AM

Ack, I am suddenly in this strange land called the Q-talk. Bunch of odd folks walking around talking of grills and meat :noidea:

Diesel Dave 12-03-2013 10:10 AM

Well too much is always a good thing Ron.

Brad it's all your fault we're here :tsk:

Gore don't the blame this time