Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Heya guys/gals.

Saturday I am having people from where I work come over for some food:
BBQ Pork
Brisket
Chicken beasts
-Dinner time is set at 6:30 / 7 pm.

My cook time window without getting up crazy early is - 8.5 hrs(8 am to 4:30pm) with a 2 hr rest time. -But will alter if.....-

I often smoke butts with the fast track method (kickassbbq) with positive results and am not worried about that as much as the brisket (less forgiving). I am a total newbie in this class...

I am torn as to, if I should try and do the fast track on the brisket w/injection. (kickassbbq) OR try and use the whole time availiable to smoke it. <---This is where I would be lost on what temps/time and such...

- Already bought a 10.34 lb Packer Choice...
- I am smoking on the larger offset that was made by Oklahoma Joe's but they seem to have be boughtout by someone else? Its the Competition model ???

Just really nervous as the people coming are from work and I'll never hear the end of it if the food sucks.....very unforgivin people.....

Just looking for a lil guidence
Thanks,
Joe

I've never done the fast track mod so I can't comment on that. If you're smoking that brisket at 225* or less then you're gonna need more time. I tend to need 1-1.5 hours per pound on briskets and butts. Some day I'm gonna try the fast track thing just haven't scheduled that as yet...:roll: :|

Yeah your gonna have trouble doing a brisket in 8 hours. Ive never tried the fast method either although Ive heard it works. Better put the brisket on for a 12 hour cook, maybe get up and throw just it on then you could sleep the rest of the night.

I have not looked at KickAsses Site in a while, but the method he describes works fine for both butts and briskets.

We cook at the low to mid 300s and have no problem getting it all done in 6 to 8 hours including time in the cooler. This is on a stick or charcoal burner, not the FEC.

TIM

kapn -

needed to hear that.

"FEC" ???

Being a newbie here I see ALOT of the abbreviations... You guys have a glossary around? Need one :)

I have never done the fast track method either, but why not get up a little earlier in the AM and start the Brisket. You can throw it on, and go back to bed. I agree with Bill if it gets done early, you can wrap it, and cooler it, it will stay good for a long time.

I don't know your ratio of food to people, but if you are comfortable with everything but the brisket, and the brisket ends up sucking (really sucking, not you thinking it sucks because it doesnt meet your standards) don't serve it.

Be conservative in your cooking times. It's much better to keep cooked food warm then waiting around for food to finish cooking. If you are worried about fast-tracking, get up earlier in the morning, or start the cook late at night.

Last edited:
Fast Track Brisket. Right!!!!
http://www.kickassbbq.com/quick_cook_brisket.htm
I love Low and Slow. BUT, If you don't want to get up at 4:30, try it this way.
Really hard to screw it up.
Smoke On!!!!!!!
quickbrisket4.JPG

Either method has proven successful for people, both in the backyard and in competition. Still, I would err to the conservative side and get it done early. A 5-day cooler will keep meat hot for hours!

Agree with the general consensus. It's a whole lot easier to keep it warm in a cooler then it is to run out of cooking time and everyone is just staring at you waiting. Unless they're all women, then just hand out more drinks!! Give yourself plenty of time.

kapn -

needed to hear that.

"FEC" ???

Being a newbie here I see ALOT of the abbreviations... You guys have a glossary around? Need one :)

Fast Eddy cooker by Cookshack.
http://cookshack.radius3.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=88&=SID

"Pellet Poopers" or "Micro Log Burners" or "Tree Turd Burners" like the FEC burn very efficienty and do not produce a lot of smoke or smoke flavor. It is a "gentle smoke" operation.
So, we need to cook slower in the FEC and allow time for the smoke flavor to develop.

In a stick or charcoal burner--lots of smoke flavor so we can (and do) get excellent results cookingl hotter and faster :lol:

TIM

RichardF!!!! OK, here's the deal. My NEXT project is, (are you ready?)
A "Babes Of BBQ" Calendar !!!!!!!!
I already have 6 Flight Attendants coming this Spring to pose on the Harley and the Lang for a Calendar for Next year.
Nice, tasteful pics.
12 months and a BBQ recipe for each month.
I love new projects!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

RichardF!!!! OK, here's the deal. My NEXT project is, (are you ready?)
A "Babes Of BBQ" Calendar !!!!!!!!
I already have 6 Flight Attendants coming this Spring to pose on the Harley and the Lang for a Calendar for Next year.
Nice, tasteful pics.
12 months and a BBQ recipe for each month.
I love new projects!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!
I will be more than willing to volunteer my valuable time as your photo editor...

(ya think this will effectivly hijack this thread)

bmarley, it might help us out more if we knew what you were cooking on.

One thing I have done in the past is to put brisket in the smoker a day or two ahead of time and smoke it until it gets to about 160 degrees. Then I spay it, wrap it in foil and pop it in the fridge when it cools off. Serving day, put it in the oven or the smoker and cook it the rest of the way. It won't take nearly as long and you still end up with a tender moist product.

One of my rules is "Never try new things when you are cooking for guests". But if you're comfortable and are getting good results with the fast track method. Go with it. It sounds like you are planning to cook the brisket and butts at about the same time and then will you follow with the chicken while they rest in a cooler? I prefer thighs or quarters to breasts, but that is just me.

bmarley, it might help us out more if we knew what you were cooking on.

One thing I have done in the past is to put brisket in the smoker a day or two ahead of time and smoke it until it gets to about 160 degrees. Then I spay it, wrap it in foil and pop it in the fridge when it cools off. Serving day, put it in the oven or the smoker and cook it the rest of the way. It won't take nearly as long and you still end up with a tender moist product.

That, combined with what ThirdEve offered--Is a plan !!!
Safe.
Save the "experimenting" for later.

JMHO.

TIM

Back