• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Please judge turn in boxes

P

pepper76usa

OK everyone these did pretty bad just wondering why? All comments welcome.
Thanks Pepper76

DSC04427.jpg

DSC04429.jpg

DSC04433.jpg

DSC04435.jpg

Chicken 6
Ribs 6 or 7
Pork 5
Brisket 4 or 5

Sorry. The garnish on your chicken is all over the place, and the skin looks burnt and lumpy. Ribs look tasty. Pork looks dry. Needs some bark, sauce, or both. The brisket really looks kind of bad. Way too much fat is visible...try trimming the fat off, or at least putting it on the bottom of the box where it's not visible.

I would say add moisture to your cooking and presentation... Don't be afraid to use sauce to make things look a little more poist... As the pork and brisket really looked dry. Ribs look like they weren't cooked enough, as I can't see any pull back of the meat on the bone. Chicken, the skin doens't look good at all. It's all wrinkly.

For all of your boxes, consider using lettuce only or do a search on this site for "putting greens" to see how parsley can support your entry rather than distract from it.

The chicken is not uniform in size or shape and the surface appears goopy. Try thinning your sauce out to achieve a more uniform glaze.

The ribs should face the same way and if possible come from the same rack. Consider placing all siz in 1 row or stacking 3 on 3 or 4 on 4. I also prefer a glaze on ribs.

The pork is a mess. Use uniformly sized pieces arranged with a purpose. If you want to turn in both shredded and pulled, have evenly sized piles of each. Consider using a sauce on the pork so it doesn't look so dry.

The brisket meat doesn't look very appetizing. Arrange flat slices in the box fat side down and trim off some of the excess fat on the back slices. And it needs some sort of glaze or au jous because it looks dry.

There are hundreds of good examples on this site of great looking boxes.

Chicken appears to be splotchy and of various sizes. Get them to the same size and and arrange them so that the two best pieces are on top of the others in two lines, that will hide the splotchiness.
Ribs are also not uniform, try two rows of three and use your garnish to bring them up out of the box making it look more full.
Pork needs to be spread out and raised, again use your garnish to raise it up if you don't want to put more in. Don't know if it is dry or not so can't judge that in appearence.
Brisket needs alot of help. Take a look around here for others boxes and take a look. Flip the fat side down and ensure they are either all uniform or "stepped" for the lack of a better term.
What were your scores?

Chicken - 6
Ribs - 7
Pork - 6
Brisket - 5 (maybe a 4)

I agree with all the others here. One question on the brisket. Is that cut the right direction? The meat does'nt look right. Also, cover up the fat at least.

I know pictures can be deciving, so I will base my comments on what I see. I took 10 seconds on each.

Chicken 7-Box is above avarage. The skin looks, "puckered" to me. Maybe the sauce, maybe the picture. You need to fine tune the parsly a little, I am trying to focus just on the meat, everyone tells me it is a meat conntest, but if you are going to garnish, the eye is bound to go there.

9- Beautiful box! Will be curious to see what you got. Meat is pleasing to the eye, nice color, great cuts!

Pork 6- Average looking box. No color in the meat, unappetizing. Greens are somewhat dishelved.

Brisket-6 Again, the meat is unappetizing. I do not like the fat on the meat. I would try and have a smaller cut so that it does not go all the awy to the very edge of the box.

Hope the comments help you.

chicken - 6 skin looks blotchy and sauce is all over the place
ribs - 9 very nice
pork - 6 just looks like a pile of colorless meat, remember to the judges sauce is boss!
brisket - 5 looks almost more like the color of a pot roast, to much fat. bark looks light

Chicken - 5 (skin looks bad and the sauce is sloppy. If you got the 7th piece in the middle, get two more in to fill those big ugly gaps)

Ribs - 7 (not bad but no shine to them)

Pork - 6 (extremely average looking box. need more meat and use bark!)

Brisket - 6 (beef fat sucks! Get rid of it! Looks like you cut with the grain maybe)

To me, every box looks dry.

Chicken 5 ( skin looks strange and the arrangement left a lot of green shining through)
Ribs 7 ( look good but lack of exposed bone and shine keep them from being higher. I agree with the above statement that they don;t look like they were cooked long enough)
Pork 6 ( It looks dry, try adding moisture, like the juice from when you foiled it. After you pull chunks, drop in that juice till you plate up. Also, add more meat, as the lack of a full box makes the garnish distracting)
Brisket 5 (when you put the fat up like that it draws your eye away from the meat. Looks like it could have been sliced with the grain. Try trimming of fat and turning pieces over so you get bark on top and the trimmed side on the bottom. Try adding moisture here as well. )

After one more look, I realize these are much better than several boxes i have turned in in the past.

Chicken - 5 Looks like you tossed some parsley in the box an threw the chicken on top and slapped some sauce on it.

Ribs - 8 Very nice looking box. Ribs look tasty.

Pork - 6 Looks kinda gray, flat and dry. Consider saucing or at least spraying with Apple Juice. Romaine lettuce is legal but does nothing for your presentation here.

Brisket - 5 If you decide not to trim the fat, at least put it on the bottom. Looks dry and spotty. Not appetizing.

Now to see what everyone else said...

Chicken (6) - arrangement as an "H" doesn't particularly do anything for the meat. Garnish is distracting (in part due to the arrangement). I'm new enough at this that I don't know if a judge or rep would consider it marking - why risk it? Your team name doesn't start with an H, eh?! Just kidding.

Ribs (6) - they look moist and potentially tasty, but the meat isn't pulled back from the bone and makes me wonder if it's going to be undercooked. I can't see the "inside" meat due to the garnish covering it up.

Pork (7) - classic "judge it as the cook presents it" - nice pull, mix of inside and out, littler pieces make it look very tender, even though it has that "thrown in" look. That big leafy piece of garnish in the LL corner keeps catching my eye.

Brisket (5) - no smoke ring required, but that fat cap on the top just doesn't look tasty, particularly the last piece at the top. It's sliced a bit thick, so making me wonder if it's overcooked (too tender), supported by the tear marks on the cuts, and the unevenness is distracting too. Please don't take this wrong, but it just doesn't look appealing.

What were your scores on taste and tenderness? I think it gets frustrating when it tastes good and is tender, but that doesn't come across in the presentation. Others have good suggestions there.

A couple of comments about the comments... some of you mention the ribs not pulling back on the ends of bones making you wonder if it's undercooked. That's not an appearance issue and should not be used to influence appearance scores OR even tenderness scores. I've had ribs that just did not want to pull back but yet were tender. Same goes for the thick slices/possibly overcooked brisket comments. Plus, you have to judge what's presented and not guess as to the cook's intent on thickness of slicing. That "width of a #2 pencil" thing is crap!

Hey Jeff. I was one of the first and I didn't even go the angle of judging the boxes. He said he was looking for ideas of why they might not have done well. I offered up the best I could, so that is why I said they didn't look done enough. Hope that explains my post. As he said any comments would be appreciated...

Back