The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Reverse smoker. Pipe vs Steel Plate (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155565)

Tough old man 03-07-2013 02:27 PM

Reverse smoker. Pipe vs Steel Plate

I'm in the process of building a smoker. 72" x 22". During the build i have decided on a reverse flow. Problem is It has 2 doors with shelve frames already welded in. Be very hard to weld in a plate in the bottom now without doing it in sections.

So i came up with an idea and need your thoughts on it whether it would work or not. I'm planning on running a 6" id steel pipe from the firebox to about 6" from the end of the cooking chamber. Also I would have to buy the plate and I already having the steel pipe.

Question is whether this would work or not.

luke duke 03-07-2013 02:38 PM

I would weld the plate in pieces. Or scrap the reverse flow idea and use tuning plates.

dwfisk 03-07-2013 03:33 PM

I've seen 6"-8" pipe with holes torched in it successfully used to distribute heat/smoke in a traditional offset and see no reason why it would not work in a reverse flow. I built mine with tuning plates sitting on 1" angle tacked to the inside wall. Here is a link showing & explaining mine:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=21
Buttburner posted a better picture, same basic idea.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...19&postcount=4
I think you could adapt this concept into 2-3 1/4" plates you could work in around the existing fabrication and weld in place or just let gravity do its thing. IMHO reverse flow, however you get there is the way to go.

If you already have pipe its probably worth a shot, but I'm a little concerned about getting enough flow with one 6" pipe, can you fit 2?

samfsu 03-07-2013 03:40 PM

Hey Dave what is the silver equipment to the left of the smoker on your trailer? Another smoker?

HUCKS 03-07-2013 03:44 PM

i cooked beside a guy that had one built like that.it looked to be 6-7 inch pipe and he had no problems with it

dwfisk 03-07-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samfsu (Post 2397765)
Hey Dave what is the silver equipment to the left of the smoker on your trailer? Another smoker?

Yea, its a 24" square SS gasser w/ceramic fabric insulation and 4 racks. Members Mark from Sams Club via China for about $400. Got it about 10-12 years ago and cooked a bunch of Q, but nothing as good as you get with wood. I put it on the trailer to use as an oven and warmer, but in a pinch it will smoke too.

Triple T BBQ 03-07-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tough old man (Post 2397705)
I'm in the process of building a smoker. 72" x 22". During the build i have decided on a reverse flow. Problem is It has 2 doors with shelve frames already welded in. Be very hard to weld in a plate in the bottom now without doing it in sections.

So i came up with an idea and need your thoughts on it whether it would work or not. I'm planning on running a 6" id steel pipe from the firebox to about 6" from the end of the cooking chamber. Also I would have to buy the plate and I already having the steel pipe.

Question is whether this would work or not.

I would get the grinder out and pull the shelves out temporarily. Love the reverse flow plate in mine. Cooks super even with a nice hot spot right over where the firebox is inside the tank. Great for Chrisping up the chicken.:icon_smile_tongue:

RevZiLLa 03-07-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ (Post 2397815)
I would get the grinder out and pull the shelves out temporarily. Love the reverse flow plate in mine. Cooks super even with a nice hot spot right over where the firebox is inside the tank. Great for Chrisping up the chicken.:icon_smile_tongue:

Sounds like the easiest and most quality way to go

TuscaloosaQ 03-07-2013 07:18 PM

Without the baffel plate being in, I think you will miss the radiant heat you get off of the baffle plate itself which is a big part of the reverse flow process.

dkryzer 03-07-2013 08:29 PM

Several years ago I faced this same exact issue and considered the pipe trick. I ended up welding in a baffle plate in pieces for this simple fact I wanted to make sure I had radiant heat. This ended up being a good decision. The pit performed great. I chalked it up as a lesson leaned and now build my pits the right way.

Tough old man 03-08-2013 09:41 AM

Crap I'd hate to have to grind them shelve frames out of there.

Tough old man 03-08-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwfisk (Post 2397761)
I've seen 6"-8" pipe with holes torched in it successfully used to distribute heat/smoke in a traditional offset and see no reason why it would not work in a reverse flow. I built mine with tuning plates sitting on 1" angle tacked to the inside wall. Here is a link showing & explaining mine:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=21
Buttburner posted a better picture, same basic idea.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...19&postcount=4
I think you could adapt this concept into 2-3 1/4" plates you could work in around the existing fabrication and weld in place or just let gravity do its thing. IMHO reverse flow, however you get there is the way to go.

If you already have pipe its probably worth a shot, but I'm a little concerned about getting enough flow with one 6" pipe, can you fit 2?

I looked at your pics. nice set up. Did you end up welding those plates together?

I could put in 2 6" pipes and drill holes in them all the way down starting with smaller holes going up if you think that would work. I know they wouldn't give off as much heat but will it be enough to do the trick.

I live in Baja, Mexico and everything you purchase is in full lengths meaning I would have to buy a 4' x 8' sheet of plating. LOL, I'm 70 yrs old 6' 255 lb weightlifter and stronger then a team of goats, but a 4 x 8 x 1/4" is not going to be the lightest to move around by yourself.....

dwfisk 03-08-2013 10:14 AM

Thanks, it works great. I have found no need to weld them together. The sheared edges fit together tightly and by the time I got a couple cooks of dripping goodness, they sealed right up. When I want to separate them now, it takes a little screw driver action.

Drilling holes in the pipe would seem to defeat the reverse flow mod; when I've seen pipe with holes it was for a traditional offset stickburner in lieu of tuning plates, not reverse flow.

Tough old man 03-08-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwfisk (Post 2398524)
Thanks, it works great. I have found no need to weld them together. The sheared edges fit together tightly and by the time I got a couple cooks of dripping goodness, they sealed right up. When I want to separate them now, it takes a little screw driver action.

Screw driver action.....LOL is that Vodka and OJ?

Ok let say i buy a sheet of plate steel. Would 3/16" work or does it need to be 1/4"?. Also how far from the end should i stop the plate steel. Again the smoker is 22" x 72".

Thanks for all coming to my rescue.

PT

dwfisk 03-08-2013 10:25 AM

IMO 3/16 will work fine. I stopped my plates about a foot from the end just cause it looked OK. Maybe TuscaloosaQ if following the thread and can weigh in, certainly more of an expert builder than me.