First Rotisserie Chicken - Advice?

tdwalker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to be taking my fist shot at Rotisserie Chicken this weekend with a cajun bandit rotisserie on my Weber Performer.

Any tips / tricks / advice / life-hacks?

Recipes?

Thanks in advance.

Nope i'm sure it'll be great though. I like injecting but it's not needed for a juicy bird. I'd say cook hot and don't worry about controlling high temps. Season inside the cavity and tie the legs/wings if the forks don't hold them into the body. I've used kabob sticks to keep them from flopping and that works well. Good luck!

we like to stuff the birds with some cooked saffron rice mixed with some fresh clementine or mandarin parts and pieces of onion..

Looking forward to pictures if you post them. I want the CB rotis real bad, If I could only find a deal.

I like to baste rotisserie chickens with Lemon/Soy/Butter.

I keep it simple. Rinse and trim any excess "bits 'n pieces" from the birds, pat them dry, spray with a little olive oil and then dust inside and out with my poultry rub. Put 'em on the spit making sure they're centered and balanced so the rotisserie motor doesn't have to work too hard against an unbalanced load. Take a full chimney of charcoal, get it full lit and then split it evenly to either side of the kettle. This creates a "dead space" directly under the birds that help prevent flare ups. Turn on the motor and let 'em roll for about an hour, hour and a half.

Looks like this:
10460499_10204379361834086_2357120503799242676_n.jpg

Looking forward to pictures if you post them. I want the CB rotis real bad, If I could only find a deal.

I like to baste rotisserie chickens with Lemon/Soy/Butter.

Make your own. I made mine out of a section of a drum that wasn't UDS worthy. Works great.

10552501_10204480962334035_6903642177134756510_n.jpg

Rotisserie cook.

Brined for four hours water / salt / sugar / peppercorns / bay leaf. Rubbed one with a Johnny Trigg commercial chicken rub, the other with Weber's Montreal Chicken rub.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAHw/6pdd28ncdFw/w1064-h709-no/DSC_0121.JPG
In Process.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/t9IQqbF85SCPQxZBLWChbdTaemyVimmybKyFE5q_ug=w311-h207-p-no
Weber Performer with Cajun Bandit Rotisserie

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Lz0jzD6nDY-GX94iJbLd6FsLYpHdWZNhXU0XS5tuKw=w311-h207-p-no
Finised product. Slightly overshot on temp. (Lighting on pic is awful).

My rotisserie tip is this:

Cook your meat "open air". I know it will take much more fuel, but if you use your lid, you lose the benefit of the sear/cool cycle that rotisseries provide. Lid use is akin to spinning your meat inside an oven, making it a novelty at best.

Besides, you definitely want to be able to hear your meat yell "weeeeeeeee" as it goes around and around and around.

+1 on the centering and balancing - THE most important part of rotisserie cooking IMO.

Weber Rotisserie Cooks

Love cooking poultry on the Weber kettle.

52MVC-019E.jpg

I like to use the "Roadside Chicken" recipe.

Dave

I used to tie my bird legs and wings with twine, had a couple times where a fire spiked and burnt the twine through.

I now used wire to tie them up.

Wow. All those yard birds look so good. Nice set ups too. I cook mine spatchcock style and pretend its rotisserie. :)

Brine, rub, bank your coals, add your wood and keep it simple. Just remember the rod carries heat through the interior of your chickens so it affects the cook. Just keep it simple and have fun.

My advice is to cook an extra one... rotis chickens are great!

Hello all,

I'm going to be taking my fist shot at Rotisserie Chicken this weekend with a cajun bandit rotisserie on my Weber Performer.

Any tips / tricks / advice / life-hacks?

Recipes?

Thanks in advance.

Remember how you did it so you can improve in the future - write it down, talk to your lady about what you can do better - whatever it takes. The first run is your baseline for improving -- or not changing a thing if it's what you like.

Back