The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Buying a WSM (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40320)

motoeric 04-03-2008 10:42 PM

Buying a WSM

Hey,

I'm gonna pick up a WSM in the next few days. Would you suggest that I go online (amazon 229.00 free delivery) or pick it up locally? Any accessories I should pick up?

Thanks,

Eric

MilitantSquatter 04-03-2008 10:47 PM

I bought two of them from Grill Doctor .

They are still $179/each . I think shipping at the time was about $25/each to LI and it came to $205/each total.

All you'll need is either thermometer either a digital wired one or a big faced Taylor Candy/Deep Fry thermometer to put in one top vent hole to get started without drilling holes etc. I have a new one still in the package that I can give you at no charge. They work great.

If you plan to use water in the pan, think about getting a Brinkman Charcoal pan (not water pan) instead of what Weber provides for a water pan as it's deeper. Only $5 from Bass Pro online site.

I think Phil says that Main St. Fuels in Holbrook always had a decent price too for WSM's, especially if you pay cash then maybe no tax. I used to get my propane tanks filled there when I lived in Holbrook, they sell Weber products and accessories.

CrackerJack from KC 04-03-2008 10:55 PM

Get it locally, I bought mine online, and when it shipped it was more oval shaped than round. I was able to rebend it into round shape after I figured out it was leaking air. Shouldn't have that problem if you get it locally.

Midnight Smoke 04-04-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoeric (Post 605487)
Any accessories I should pick up?

Thanks,

Eric

A couple Butts and some Ribs.

nonthink 04-04-2008 01:21 AM

I've got my WSM still in the box.(B-day mod) I'll be putting it together this Saturday, or Sunday.

Beerguy told my to get the BBQGURU WSM Eyelets, which I did.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/Product...2&Submit.x=42&

I have a silly question (sorry for the hijack) Seeing that the WSM is porselain-enamel coated, is it safe to assume that it does not need to be seasoned?

Bill-Chicago 04-04-2008 01:37 AM

Do you have an Ace Hardware by you?

They are one of the few that carry the full line, and Royal Oak to boot

Edit:

Forget it.

Its back to 249 there (free shipping to the store)

33 within 30 miles of you, though.

After all, Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man.

bowhnter 04-04-2008 05:28 AM

I took an online add into a local place and asked them to meet the price...they did.

Worth a shot.

ZBQ 04-04-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonthink (Post 605556)
I've got my WSM still in the box.(B-day mod) I'll be putting it together this Saturday, or Sunday.

Beerguy told my to get the BBQGURU WSM Eyelets, which I did.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/Product...2&Submit.x=42&

I have a silly question (sorry for the hijack) Seeing that the WSM is porselain-enamel coated, is it safe to assume that it does not need to be seasoned?

You will be glad you got the GURU eyelets. Worth their weight in gold.

You are correct, no need to season.

For good instructions specific to the WSM you can't beat TVWB. Chris runs a good site strictly for the WSM. Stuff like taking it out of the box, making mods, firing it up Minion Style and how to cook with it. It's a good place to start, but right here is where you will get the most knowlege about BBQ as a whole.

ZBQ 04-04-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoeric (Post 605487)
Hey,

I'm gonna pick up a WSM in the next few days. Would you suggest that I go online (amazon 229.00 free delivery) or pick it up locally? Any accessories I should pick up?

Thanks,

Eric

GURU eyelets and a ET-73 and like Vinny said, a therm for dome temps.
I've had this one for 5 or 6 years and it's still acurate.

Sledneck 04-04-2008 09:05 AM

amazon has the et-73 with free shipping for 36.99

BigBarry 04-04-2008 09:22 AM

Eric,

Congrats! You might want to wait a bit and see if Amazon drops to $200 as it does in cycles.

I would suggest a couple of Polder wired therms ($10) and the waterless foiled clay pot mod ($5). It works great!

You can get fancy with the mods later on: extra charcoal grate to prolong burns, eyelets, etc.

Weber charcoal chimney ($12) is also a must-have.

Lastly - A galvanized mini trash can and metal scoop are also must haves. An ABC fire extinguisher (small, cheap one) is really important, too.

Good luck!!

Jeremiah 04-04-2008 09:27 AM

I've purchased all of mine on Amazon, but you can't beat the price of $179. I would be hard pressed not to order from there if I had to get more.

Harbormaster 04-04-2008 10:30 AM

If you do decide to order from Amazon, I would suggest you go to the TVWB site first, and then go to Amazon via the link there. TVWB gets a little $$ everytime someone buys something via the link.

As far as accessories, I'd add a charcoal grate from an 18.5 Weber kettle, Brinkman charcoal pan(s), and some type of thermometer (I have dome mounted in mine)

Sledneck 04-04-2008 10:34 AM

The only thing that i have ever added to my wsm is a stoker. I thonk it is best o learn how to use it stock before adding anything to it

Mokin Bandit 04-04-2008 10:43 AM

Do you guys have problems keeping you WSM clean? I am having troubles keeping some of the smoke from, i guess sooting(sp?) up. I dont know how else to discribe it.

I've tried wet paper towel while its cooking and a grease cleaner after a cook. Any other suggestions.

Dont mean to hijack but it should help you keep yours clean if anyone has suggestions!