Utility Ribeye advice needed

lastmajordude

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The "Poah" side of Madison Co. Mississippi
For the Ms State/Alabama/LSU saturday football buffet.....!!!!!!!!....Cooking the mandatory pork ribs but I also was wondering about a utility ribeye. I know they are probably a little tough and fatty but was thinking if I didn't overcook them in the smoker and cut them into REAL thin slices served on onion rolls.....What do my Brethren think? Is it doable or is it just too bad a cut? Any advice or experiences good or bad are welcome.....Should I try or go another direction?.......ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FEETBALL!!!!

I have never cooked a utility grade cut of beef. I am not sure what you are up against. But, slicing thin is always a good answer to a tough roast.

I have never cooked a utility grade cut of beef. I am not sure what you are up against. But, slicing thin is always a good answer to a tough roast.

It's obviously much cheaper than a good ribeye and since it's a secondary food and a change from ribs I was jsut pondering. Just wondered if anybody had tried with success to pull one of these off.....

Ever think of NY strip. You should be able to get a select for a decent price. You can smoke that and slice it thin. I would cook it to about 125 and then slice it thin.

Never cooked that specific grade, but would marinading em help soften a bit? I realize that marinading a cut like ribeye, T-bone is taboo, but maybe in this case a good marinade to help break it down might help. Since you are serving em on a roll, the marinade flavor won't hurt.

Kind of prefer ribeye because of the flavor but I may have to go your route. Shirley ( " and don't call me Shirley") someone has cooked one of these before and can give me some info.

I don't think people use those in the way you want to use it. Utility is a grade that if anything would get ground for hamburger. I wouldn't even know where to source something like that. I'm assuming you don't want the expense of Choice ribeye so you are looking for something cheaper. Maybe think about doing a round roast with Dr. BBQ's Italian Beef recipe. One way or another you will have to slice the meat thin and serve it on bread. This way you can use a better piece of meat for the same money.

Eye of round makes a terrific sandwich, a little marinade and you are rocking. And in Select grade, it is often pretty cheap. For large beef feeds, my favorite is a cross rib roast, you need to pull the vein of gristle, but that is pretty easy and that is some delicious rare to medium rare meat.

I'm kind of neutral on the ribeye. I've had poor grades before in cheap buffets, and they just don't taste very good. I think if you sliced it thin for sammies, you'd be fine, but if this is your end goal, I'd just go with eye of round. Eye is perfect for this.

I smoked a 6 pound eye round roast last time I cooked and it got a bit too done (145) before I took it off. After resting, it topped out around 155 and it was a little chewy so I broke out the meat slicer, cut it into thin slices and made sammies, which were very well received. Threw the leftover slices in a skillet the next day with sauteed onions & peppers & topped with melted cheese on a hoagie bun. Not bad, but probably won't do that again for the price.

Back