The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket - Injection (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101798)

dworl 03-04-2011 10:45 AM

Brisket - Injection

Curious to know how may folks inject vs those who don't?

I've started trying it out with a combo of beef base, butcher's and liquid smoke and a few times it "stained" the meat...which I assume would be bad in competition.

Wampus 03-04-2011 11:35 AM

I don't inject, but then I don't compete. You talking about comp brisket or backyard brisket? Many inject at home too, I've just not tried it.

1FUNVET 03-04-2011 11:43 AM

Stain probably from the liquid smoke. Why use liquid smoke to start with.:confused:
You will be smoking it as it's cooked.

OakPit 03-04-2011 11:54 AM

I inject as a rule weather it is a contest or for the family. It just makes a better brisket/shoulder/butt (to me). If you are going to enter in a contest, I'd definitely avoid anything that stains.

J_Don 03-04-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1567566)
Stain probably from the liquid smoke. Why use liquid smoke to start with.:confused:

You took the words right out of my mouth or should I say away from my fingertips? The last time I used liquid smoke was many years ago when I was still grillin on a gas grill.

mkevenson 03-04-2011 12:20 PM

After my first brisket injection I have never done one without. I use Kosmos a bit diluted. There are many theories on the staining, some say if you inject with the grain you avoid the staining, some say against. I personally inject with the grain and have not noticed staining.

Good luck.

inv3ctiv3 03-04-2011 12:26 PM

I'm gonna try and inject a brisket for the first time this weekend, we'll see how it turns out.

smokeyw 03-04-2011 12:49 PM

I really don't care for liquid smoke on my meats. It tastes kind of bitter to me. I did put just a tad in some frozen lima beans this week along with a beef boulion cube. Now that was tasty :thumb:

Stoke&Smoke 03-04-2011 12:57 PM

liquid smoke?:tsk:

try to inject in line with the grain, should have less staining issues

chambersuac 03-04-2011 01:01 PM

I inject sometimes, not at others. When I do, I use Kosmo's.

Lake Dogs 03-04-2011 02:40 PM

I LOVE Butchers. However, I've tried it with beef stock, without, up, down sideways,
and I still only like it mixed per directions, with water, and let set-up overnight...

Inject in small amounts over many injection areas...

dworl 03-04-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 1567556)
I don't inject, but then I don't compete. You talking about comp brisket or backyard brisket? Many inject at home too, I've just not tried it.

good question...more interested from competition point of view.

dworl 03-04-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1567566)

cooking on a traeger which i find needs a little extra...matter of taste, but if cause of staining will stop using it.

dworl 03-04-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkevenson (Post 1567607)
After my first brisket injection I have never done one without. I use Kosmos a bit diluted. There are many theories on the staining, some say if you inject with the grain you avoid the staining, some say against. I personally inject with the grain and have not noticed staining.

Good luck.

appreciate the responses, thanks.

first heard of enhancing pellet smokers with liquid smoke from Bill Anderson.

Oldschoolbbq 03-04-2011 03:21 PM

Inject a Brisket 8(-

Dworl,There are a lot of folks here that frown on injecting a Briskey,and especially with (YUK) liquid Sm..., Sm...., gag ; I can't even say the ls thing:crazy:
Here's the thing:idea:,coat your Brisket with S/CBP liberally. put it on a 225*F cooker and forget about it for 1.5hrs. X the weight of the Brisket.
Don't open it,don't look at it and by all means leave it the heck alone:clap2:
at the end of the wait, you'll have the best tasting Meat you have had in a long time.:thumb:You won't have any leftovers,but just in case you do:confused:,
make chili,or stew or something you come up with:becky:.
Brisket is easy if you just leave it alone;that's why we all have more than 1 cooker:doh:,more room for more stuff:mod:.
stay busy and when you smoke,remember,