FINALLY!!! First smoke since December

Lowbrass

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, I held off for three months and kicked off Spring Break with a smoke! Boy does it feel good to be doing this again! Nothing special, just a couple of butts on the WSM. I will post pictures in the morning after I wake up.

Way to shake off the rust. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Nothing special, just a couple of butts on the WSM.

Sounds mighty special to me!

I know what you mean, I'm only on my third cook this year, I'm doing a plain fatty rubbed with a little pork rub, a beef bone in forerib (rubbed with Hefferdust) and a chunk of pork butt (rubbed with three guys smokin' pork powder).

Smoke on brother! :p

Welcome back to the living! :-D I'll bet the yard smells great this morning!

Smoke On buddy...Sounds like you are on your way...For me, this weekend is the first time I haven't smoked since late December...

IMG_1927 (Small).JPG

IMG_1932 (Small).JPG

I hope this works...I have never tried to put pictures in a post. Anywho. The butts (rubbed with a variation on Dr. BBQs Big Time BBQ Rub and injected with his pork injection) went on about 1 am and at around 2 am the temps reached 200* so I closed some vent to 3/4s and they steadied out at 230*. I went to bed and woke up to the ET-73 alarm going off saying that they were at 195. I also saw that the smoker temp at the top grate was at 330*. Slept through the alarm going off...oops. I am glad butts are so forgiving. I foiled, rested. and pulled a few hours ago. Headed over to sister's house to enjoy with family! I did a taste test these are the best butts I have done in a while and best bark since getting the WSM.

Just got back and got nothing but rave reviews from my family. My brother who is also big into Qing (makes the best dry ribs I have ever had) said it was the perfect combo of spices in the rub. Couple of sibs were eating it on sandwiches without any sauce. Very proud of this go-around!

First smoke of the year?!?!?!?!? What the fark is with that???? Put on a coat and get your butt out there!

(BTW, looks like you did real good!!!!)

Lookin mighty fine ......Plannin on firein mine up in the mornin for the first time this year......Isnt spring great..lol

We have a rule in my house.... We quit smoking at 11:59pm on December 31st, and don't start up again until 12:01am on January 1st.... It's the worst withdrawal I go through every year....

I wish the temps here would allow me to cook all year long. There was a few times I fired up the grill but the smoke wakes tomorrow

I've don't mind cooking when it's cold. Not quite as enjoyable tending to the cooker but it's worth it in the end.

!st cook of teh year and out of the gate you get RAVE reviews. Good times.

Thanks all! Would have cooked earlier but money is tight as is time when I am teaching full time and have a 8 month old daughter (our first). Still trying to get used to the new time management stuff, which is another reason I am glad I have a WSM!

About time on the pics. Looks great. I'm with Divemaster, it's never too cold for Q

Back