The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   44 Man Hour Brisket? Another AF Thread (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210035)

TonyT 05-10-2015 06:30 PM

44 Man Hour Brisket? Another AF Thread

Was reading an Aaron Franklin interview where he was giving some interesting stats, including 1800/2200lbs of meat he sells is brisket and his briskets are running at a 68% food cost. Something I couldn't quite understand is when he said it takes 44 man hours per brisket, from trimming to just before service (serving time not included). Maybe you guys can help me understand what he means. I'm just taking a guess with times (really have no idea):

~13-18 hour cook, ~7-9 hour rest, 1 hour prep/coming to room temp, receiving (?), cleaning up (?), burning down the wood (?), other (?)

Is the remaining difference just having more than one person manning the pits/prepping at a time?

http://andrewzimmern.com/2015/04/21/...aron-franklin/

Coat 05-10-2015 06:43 PM

I think he probably counts his slicer as well, bc he really emphasizes the importance of that role.

smoke ninja 05-10-2015 06:45 PM

He must be counting the processing of the steer. Sounds a bit padded to me

TonyT 05-10-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coat (Post 3237734)
I think he probably counts his slicer as well, bc he really emphasizes the importance of that role.

He said somewhere else that it doesn't include any of the service. So I'm guessing it's from burning down the wood, to when it comes out of the warmer? :noidea:

Coat 05-10-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyT (Post 3237739)
He said somewhere else that it doesn't include any of the service. So I'm guessing it's from burning down the wood, to when it comes out of the warmer? :noidea:

Crazy. In that case what you mentioned ab multiple folks has to be the explanation. Actually come to think of it, i don't know why anyone would use the term "man hours" unless they're factoring in multiple folks. And there's no way that is "per brisket." It has to be per batch of briskets. Otherwise that's 500 dollars invested in each brisket lol

Gerrit_Boys 05-10-2015 08:26 PM

Man hours. 2 guys working for 22 hours is 44 man hours. 4 guys for 11 hours is 44 man hours. Not sure how it rolls together but I see how hours can add up.

scaramoche 05-10-2015 09:17 PM

It sounds like he is including total time not just active time. Recieving, storage, trimming, mixing spice, seasoning are all active times. Once it's in the smoker your no longer actively working on it and that is added to total time. Checking on it might add a couple minutes to active but really your either not working on it or doing something else. Plus you can't add all personnel working in the store as either total or active just the ones who add to the active time. So yeah, the time is padded somewhat.

Clay-b-que 05-10-2015 09:23 PM

Man, Aaron should get on this forum! He is a god around here. I have no idea what he is referencing but a few of the above posts seem to be on point.

Actually I think bludawg is Aaron in disguise....hmmmmm

TonyT 05-10-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay-b-que (Post 3237956)
Man, Aaron should get on this forum! He is a god around here. I have no idea what he is referencing but a few of the above posts seem to be on point.

Actually I think bludawg is Aaron in disguise....hmmmmm

I think you just started a brethren conspiracy. Aaron, aka bludawg is really cooking his briskets in 5 hours and trying to throw us off with all this 13-18 hour +9 hour rest talk

snooter2tooter 05-10-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyT (Post 3237968)
I think you just started a brethren conspiracy. Aaron, aka bludawg is really cooking his briskets in 5 hours and trying to throw us off with all this 13-18 hour +9 hour rest talk

Yea, I tend to agree. I see a tv interview here or an article there and every time its different. I was talking to him once and someone asked for his recipe. I watched him write it done in person.

Rub: salt and peppper
M.O.P.: cook at 275 until done

Not that I blame him for it though. It would be legendary bbq without the mystery.

Clay-b-que 05-10-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Exactly! You never give away your secrets only deter others from them! Bludawgs secret is revealed. But damn....his sauce is so good....had it today on a pulled pork Sammy. Oh wait I think that is a deterrent as well :crazy:

pjtexas1 05-10-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Blu is within 45 minutes of me. I pass thru Jonesboro a few times a year. I can get to the bottom of this.:heh:

Brew-Bq 05-10-2015 11:24 PM

I would also guess he was speaking in terms of per batch of briskets. Couple guys trimming and prepping and some overlap on manning the pits on an 18 hour smoke or whatever he does plus the other stuff. Then that number starts to make sense. Remember thats not from the book just an interview so he probably said per brisket without considering it too much.

jasonjax 05-11-2015 06:42 AM

You guys misunderstood what he was saying. The average man has to work 44 hours to afford his brisket.

1MoreFord 05-11-2015 05:36 PM

It's multiple people who work toward the finished product.

1 man working one hour is 1 man hour. 2 man hours can be one man working 2 hours or 2 men each working one hour.