The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   brinkman pellet grill (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121244)

southernstyle 11-29-2011 06:51 AM

brinkman pellet grill

has any one seen or used one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053

i was going to buy a green mountain, but in price comparison the green mountain daniel boone @ $750 or the treager litle tex @ $700. now i might be rethinking a future purchase. it has a 443 sq in cooking space a little bit bigger than both the others. $500 and free shipping. if anyone has seen one i would appreciate some feedback on the construction and durability. thanks

The_Kapn 11-29-2011 07:04 AM

Traeger clones are showing up from lots of manufactures.
Each new model has a "shake out" period where the bugs need to be worked out. And, there are always bugs on a new product.

Green Mountain and Traeger both have a history of dealing with the problems and now produce a good (if not great) product.
I have had my Lil' Tex for 2.5 years and it has never missed a beat.

Your decision in the end.

Good Luck---those little pellet cookers ROCK :-D

TIM

SmokeOCD 11-29-2011 07:11 AM

For 250 you get almost 35 pounds more steel in the daniel boone. Traeger is a known name and may resell at a higher price once you upgrade or tire of it.

It's returnable for 90 days, you've got nothing to lose. Make sure you can return it to your local HD. Just try it.

lincolncountycookers 12-05-2011 08:40 AM

Brinkmann Pellet Grill

I cooked steak on one Saturday, seared at 500 degrees, and finished to a perfect medium rare. Cooked a Brisket Sunday. Started 6am set to low for smoking, it ran at 140 degrees for 4 hours, meat temp was at 137. Changed to Medium, unit ran at 250 degrees until 2pm meat temped 196. It took almost a hopper of pellets to cooker. Great smoke ring, very happy with results.

KnucklHed BBQ 01-12-2012 12:32 PM

I saw this thing the other day when I was @ HD, I took the insides apart to see what the firepot set up looked like, I am 99% certain that this is a re-branded Treager lil' tex - the drip tray, heat deflector over the fire pot and the firepot & auger set up look identical to my lil tex.

The biggest difference to me was that the brinkman is a bolt together type of unit, and my tex is all welded at the legs.

the temp control and hopper look exactly like the lil tex.

Interestingly the firepot is stainless steel on the brinkman, mild steel on the tex (at least mine is)

It was surprisingly pretty heavy and had a lower shelf that I always wished the tex had as well as the front shelf.

Honestly, aside from the legs being bolt on legs, I think over all it is built as good or better than the tex and has a few more features too, for less cash!

jasonjax 01-12-2012 02:17 PM

The invasion of the pellets has begun. I for one welcome our new overlords. Hail to the pellets!

Wrench_H 01-12-2012 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys. A friend of mine has been asking be about these, knowing that I have Traegers. I haven't known what to tell him as i haven't seen them, but it sounds like they are pretty good units. I'll point him over here for your reviews.

NU2QN 01-12-2012 03:25 PM

I have looked at the Traegers. This Brinkman model has the pellet burner that you find on the Traeger junior. High, Med, and Low, temp selection. I would spend the extra money and get the Traeger Lil Tex. Better temp selection. I would also be curious about the guage of the metal on the Brinkman. When Copy Cat companies put out a product for less money, they usually cut expenses in material choices. IMO!!!

KnucklHed BBQ 01-12-2012 03:32 PM

The lil tex comes with the same 3 position knob that this one does.
The digital controller is an upgrade, at least it was the last time I looked.
this brinkman IS a lil tex, they've just made some aesthetic changes to it... The thickness of the steel on this one felt the same or thicker than the tex.

AZ Smoker 03-26-2012 04:55 PM

the only downside I can see to these is no Digital Temp gauge.

Tommyboy48 03-27-2012 07:00 AM

Spend the extra money and go traeger, yoder or GMG. I love my daniel Boone, its so versatile and built tough. I will be buying a peoria cooker next year but will keep my gmg because of its versatility and for set it and leave it cooks. Remember, grills with a lot of moving parts and electronics will need repair eventually so you want a quality product that you can get parts for eventually. IMO, you get what you pay for. Save the money and invest in something worth your time.