I want to say "Thank You" to KCBS....

Brewmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My church held a little fundraiser this weekend. They did a 5K run with a Rib Competition. There were only 6 teams competing and I was one of them. I also cooked ribs, burgers, and hot dogs for public.

So anyway, back to my "Thank you". The organizer, who also cooked in the contest, hand picked the judges. I don't have a problem with this because we still used a blind turn-in. The problem I have is with the knowledge of what these judges think is good BBQ.

I would like to say "THANK YOU" to KCBS for putting a system in place that puts some order and consistency to how the judges decide a winner.

Apparently if we didn't have this consistency, this is what wins:

Ribs6.jpg

I was told by the cook that the rub was brown sugar and cayenne. He was very proud of them and wanted me to try one. So I did. As I ate the mushy, granular crunchy rib, I thought I had this one in the bag.

I was wrong.

I got 2nd.

Thank you KCBS and all the CBJs for adding a little consistency and knowledge to this sport.

Cheers,
Nate

Question is what place did those free radical sub quenching agent ribs get?

This is exactly why there are sanctioning bodies. Otherwise you end up with willy nilly.

My teammates and I get asked quite often to participate in a few local unsanctioned
competitions and we've always politely declined. I will help and volunteer assistance,
but I'm not going to cook when there's willy nilly afoot. Honestly, it's just too time
consuming to "play that game".

That
is
just
so
wrong.

In all honesty just like hundreds of you I hear people bang on about boiling ribs in this country. A few 'foodie' sites I use to visit from time to time have members that swear by boiling ribs and oven cooking chicken before grilling every time.

I just gave up on them in the end.

Why wasnt he just using a nice coleman propane stove, vs. defiling a nice weber that way?...

At the risk of getting crucified, I don't think KCBS juding is good/consistant, whatever because the KCBS imposes a standard but becuase at most KCBS comps the judges are more experienced than at a small church function.

Experienced judges know that those boiled ribs are LOUSY

:puke:Sorry they look like my old field boots, we would drop new leather boots into boiling water to soften them up speed up the break-in time, maybe thats what going on here speeding up the "pass-through" the gut time :doh:

Unfortunalty I have had simular results in local competitions, pi$$es you off when it happens but wait a year or two and you will laugh about it.

Oh man, those ribs look great? If they were turned in completely covered in some good Kraft sauce I would probably think I'd died and gone to heaven.

Or at least I would have died and gone somewhere... :wink:

That shouldn't even be allowed, to ruin a nice slap of ribs like that :pray:

Nate,
I cooked a local one in New Haven. 10 teams. I bought two spots so I would have room to vend. They gave me 2 entries. I took my turn ins fron the same butt and tri tip. I was team 2 and 4. Team 4 had 1st beef and 1st chicken, 5thOA. Team 2 was 2nd OA with no calls.......WTF???

Well, obviously JBrink, you must have been much more consistent as Team 2. Team 4 was much better at the same things you did, but, not as consistent.

Back