probably a really dumb UDS question

jwalk721

Reaction score
I'm starting UDS version 2.0 and am going the BGE vent route for the intake. my question for those who have done this is how big do I cut the hole? I'm going to try to get as close to the bottom as I can to make it easier to get the ash out. Thanks in advance.

I also cut the hole sized to match the hole in the BGE vent. I also put it as close to the bottom as possible. I used an abrasive blade in a skilsaw to cut it and cleaned the corners with a sawsall.

It was easy to do works great.

4Basket.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes things are too simple and you can't get your head around them.

Cut the full opening of the vent and you will be able to reach in and give the basket a shake in the event that you get an ash buildup.
No need for an ashpan and the greasy mess under it as you can just dump the ashes out your vent. Don't do it to often as its nice to have a buildup of ashes to soak up the grease.
I've tried a few different styles but the BGE or Primo vents are still the best.
I tried one with three1" holes like the picture below and it worked better than the tap and nipples but not as handy as the BGE vent.
003-6.jpg

001-17.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/001-17.jpg

BGE's actually have about a 1/2 drop from the bottom of the lower vent door to the bottom of the cooker. This is partially to allow some ash to accumulate without spilling out on it's own, and so hotties don't bounce out when you catch a reverse draft.

With the right end on your ash scoop, it's really easy to scoop the ash up, and out the door. For a drum with a vent door, you could always make a scooper on one end and a wiggle rod on the other. This sketch was for a mini cooker tool, but you get the general idea.

miniwiggleashtool1.jpg

Back