The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ever used the Papain (Papaya) based meat tenderizer? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150134)

tortaboy 12-24-2012 02:58 PM

Ever used the Papain (Papaya) based meat tenderizer?

I should know better than experimenting when I have more than 20 people coming over, but what the heck.

Among other meats, I've got 6 tri tips marinading in a mixture of soy, worsh, wine, garlic, onion, and seasoned meat tenderizer. I'm looking for tri tip that will literally melt like butter.

Ever used Papain based meat tenderizer on beef? Your experiences?

buccaneer 12-24-2012 03:19 PM

Marinades don't penetrate nor do acids tenderize,except for making the outer mushy.
Papain, if not time controlled, will turn the meat to mush also.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least you have something that will tenderize.
Nothing is going to make tri tip melt literally like butter.

tortaboy 12-24-2012 03:23 PM

I've never experienced mushy meat, using any marinades....ever.

If marinades do not penetrate, why are the consistently used by millions of people?

If they do not penetrate, the taste sure tricks one into into thinking that they do.

I think you are wrong in your generalizations of Marinades Buc.

buccaneer 12-24-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortaboy (Post 2305964)

If marinades do not penetrate, why are the consistently used by millions of people?

If they do not penetrate, the taste sure tricks one into into thinking that they do.

Proven food science.
People's perceptions are extremely fallible, scientific testing is not.
Using an MRA on meat marinated for extended periods showed 1/16 penetration, yet the outer had protein collapse from the acids, which is a form of cooking really.
Yet people will use a marinade and eat it, and rave about the penetration and flavor depth.
That is just how it is.

Marinades benefit by lowering flare up, and by searing into the outer of the meat adding a flavor layer.
That's all.
I invite you to put a tri tip in a container of papain enzyme and wait a day or so.
Then tell me if you still have never seen mushy meat?
:twitch:

tortaboy 12-24-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2305974)
I invite you to put a tri tip in a container of papain enzyme and wait a day or so.
Then tell me if you still have never seen mushy meat?
:twitch:

Will do. :thumb:

Happy Holidays.

buccaneer 12-24-2012 04:16 PM

:grin: To you and yours also!

caliking 12-24-2012 05:26 PM

I have used papain with some marinades for goat meat. Personally I do not care much for marinades any more, at least not long ones.

For example, I used to marinate chicken overnight with spices and yogurt when making chicken tikka or tandoori chicken. Guests would rave about how tender and soft the meat was, when to me it was mushy. I didn't care for it that much. I prefer to marinate my chicken for about 4-6hrs now.

The same goes for my goat meat items. I don't marinate overnight anymore. I don't miss the papain, because the meat would turn to mush and I didn't care for the texture. I am speaking in the context of Indian recipes (the country, not Native American) so YMMV.

Having said that, give it a try and report back. What fun would any of this be without experimentation and trying something new now and then?

tortaboy 12-24-2012 05:37 PM

I'm wondering what is in the commercial marinades, such as the ones that Costco sells (marinaded tri tips)? I LOVE that stuff.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=81597

Q-Dat 12-24-2012 08:24 PM

When wet aging a brisket it is supposedly the enzymes that break it down and make it more tender. While Papain and Bromelain are much more aggresive than what naturally occurs in the meat, I wonder if the proper amount would be beneficial in the same way. I'm thinking that injection would have to be involved to evenly distribute the enzymes.

BrotherBBQ 12-24-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortaboy (Post 2305964)

Some interesting info on marinades.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...marinades.html

tortaboy 12-25-2012 01:03 PM

The results are in:

I was concerned about trying something new for the family, so, I woke up early and did a test cook (Steak and Eggs for Breakfast...yeah baby).

The Tri Tip felt soft to the touch, but definitely not what I would call mushy at all.

After cooking to 140, resting, and slicing, I ended up with a very tender Tri Tip Roast. Definitely more tender than without using tenderizer. It reminds me of prime rib tenderness. If you consider that mushy....so be it.

Because I used a lot of soy in the marinade, along with seasoned Papaya tenderizer, I thought the meat was a bit too salty. My wife tasted it and said it was perfect.....what did I expect from a soy based marinade?

So, when I cook for the group this afternoon, I'll rub with some Sugar in the Raw brown sugar to balance out the salt.

My thoughts:

1) Regardless of what the science says, marinade makes meat taste more moist and flavorful.
2) Regardless of what the science says, tenderizer makes Tri Tip even more tender, and zero mush even after two days in the marinade.

BobBrisket 12-25-2012 01:15 PM

What if you cooked em like a Brisket?

tortaboy 12-25-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 2306714)

I did.....

I cooked it indirect at about 300 degrees. I didn't cook to the high internal temp of a brisket, but the method of cooking was identical.

I didn't sear it like a big steak.

smokeyokie 12-25-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 2306714)

Be sure to wrap in foil and into the crock pot????:shock:

BobBrisket 12-25-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortaboy (Post 2306704)
The results are in:

I was concerned about trying something new for the family, so, I woke up early and did a test cook (Steak and Eggs for Breakfast...yeah baby).

The Tri Tip felt soft to the touch, but definitely not what I would call mushy at all.

After cooking to 140, resting, and slicing, I ended up with a very tender Tri Tip Roast. Definitely more tender than without using tenderizer. It reminds me of prime rib tenderness. If you consider that mushy....so be it.

Because I used a lot of soy in the marinade, along with seasoned Papaya tenderizer, I thought the meat was a bit too salty. My wife tasted it and said it was perfect.....what did I expect from a soy based marinade?

So, when I cook for the group this afternoon, I'll rub with some Sugar in the Raw brown sugar to balance out the salt.

My thoughts:

1) Regardless of what the science says, marinade makes meat taste more moist and flavorful.
2) Regardless of what the science says, tenderizer makes Tri Tip even more tender, and zero mush even after two days in the marinade.

Wouldn't injecting them give you better results? Maybe Knucklehead will chime in on this one.