UDS mod help

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm noticing that my uds is just barely leaking where the weber lid meets the drum. I fixed up a foil wrap to go around it. when I do that though the smoke basically goes away, but before hand I had a nice thin cloud. Anyways, this did stabilize my temps and really made it easier to control. sorry for all the wind here, but I'm looking for some instructions or opinion on cutting the top part of a weber kettle to fasten to the inside of the drum so the lid fiits perfect. Thanks alot everyone. I'll have some PRON to come later (butt, abt's, moink balls, fattie, beans)

I didn't go to the trouble of cutting the kettle. I just took a grinder and took the top of the drum down a little until the lid fit all th way down.

Some of my kettle rings fit more securely than others in the open drums, those that are loose I ran beads of Permatex silicone gasket for a better seal. Some people have had to bolt the flange in place because their drums were too wide. I've gone back to the drum lids on the 38" UDS's because I'm cooking farther from the heat and just prefer them like that but continue to use the kettle lid on my 34" drum.

Where would you put the silicone gasket? on the lid or on the drum. What process would I use for this?

On my drum I used a circular saw with a metal-cutting blade to remove the lip at the top. Now the lid fits perfectly. It is a sharp edge so file it smooth.

I already removed the lip because the weber was just a bit too small, now it's just a bit too big and I have to use a foil to wrap around the outside where the lid and drum meet to really seal it all off and i was looking for a more permanent solution.

I hope I'm making sense here, My lid doesn't fit perfect and still lets some air in. My temps have been running high and when I shut it all down my coals still didn't go out, but after sealing up that edge with foil it was perfect, but i want a more permanent solution

Weber lid mod.....learned from Swamprb!

Cut 2" off top of kettle and installed inside of drum sealing with furnace caulk.
Notice mounting bolts also act as grate supports.

Attachments

• New VDS 003.jpg
    New VDS 003.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 53
Back