The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   grinding question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37329)

smooookin 02-07-2008 02:46 PM

grinding question

I really enjoy making the sausage and the brats, but, I wold rather dig a ditch in the Rocky Mountains than fight this damn grinder!:twisted:

I realize it is a cheapo but I have to be doing something wrong.
Took a pork butt and cubed it, small pieces. I am not sure there was a reason for that as only so much will fit down the neck at one time but I read it somewhere so that is what I did.
It was an 8lb butt so I separated it into two bags and stuck them in the freezer for a little while. I am starting out using a, what I think is a stuffer plate. Seems like I have to stop 4 or 5 times while doing the first grind and you dont even want to know how many times when I do the grind thru the smaller plate, which I think may be too small but it is all I have to the time being. (3/16 holes).

Should I let the cubes get to the point of almost frozen, or for that matter try running them after they are frozen? My grinder uses a #5 plate, is it just too farken small for what I am trying to do?

I am thinking about ordering some stainless steel knives and a larger, 1/4, plate for the grinder I have. However I am sure that once I get back to fixing hail damage there is a much beefier unit in my future..

Any pointer would be greatly appreciated. Um, one more request, please answer this quickly so I won't but drunk to get finished today. :cool:

Transformer BBQ 02-07-2008 02:53 PM

One thing that can help is to put all the grinder parts in the freezer for a little while... also give the inside a shot of nonstick cooking spray.

Chopping the butt up into inch cubes then freezing for about 25 minutes is about haw frozen you want things... you're not looking to make meat slushies...

I am getting confused by some of your terminology... so maybe I'm getting confused. but you need to grind all the meat up without anything realted to stuffing on the first pass... stuffing involves re-running the ground meat throught the machine and into the casings... Don't try to grind and stuff at the same time...

smooookin 02-07-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ (Post 555635)

I am getting confused by some of your terminology... so maybe I'm getting confused. but you need to grind all the meat up without anything realted to stuffing on the first pass... stuffing involves re-running the ground meat throught the machine and into the casings... Don't try to grind and stuff at the same time...

(((buzzkill))) Whew it was almost too late.

No I am not trying to stuff and grind at the same time. Well not on the first run. What I did with the brats was do an initial grind with a large (or stuffing) plate, mixed in the spices then when using the smaller plate I did stuff at the same time. Next time I will go back to the larger plate to stuff them. Do I need to time the fat down in order to not fight it?

LOL I am confusing you because, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING!! :lol::lol:

But, I am doing it anyway.

Sledneck 02-07-2008 03:01 PM

What is ginding?

smooookin 02-07-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 555651)
What is ginding?

Chit!! Now I know what is wrong, I aint got no R's!!! :lol::lol:

now that you've had your fun, can ya answer the question, or give me an R?:biggrin:

Mark 02-07-2008 03:04 PM

Get a whetstone and sharpen the blade (face down on the whetstone). You'll notice a big difference.

PS: also take care that the blade & plate are seated properly. Too tight/too lose and/or any foregin material will cause difficulties as well

Sledneck 02-07-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smooookin (Post 555654)
Chit!! Now I know what is wrong, I aint got no R's!!! :lol::lol:

now that you've had your fun, can ya answer the question, or give me an R?:biggrin:

Here ya go RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Transformer BBQ 02-07-2008 03:17 PM

I am trying to remember... without having mine in front of me... but I don't think you should have any plates on at all when stuffing... Grind it up once, grind it a second time with the same plate... mix in the seasoning... take off the plate/ put on the stuffer... put on the casings... make sure the meat stays cold... after grinding it stick it in the freezer for another 15 minutes..

Also... make sure the cutting blade is on the correct way if its facing the wrong direction you're creating a fark load of friction...

smooookin 02-07-2008 03:23 PM

This blade has a cutting edge on both sides, however after close inspection it has more of a beater bar look than a blade look, off to grade the whetstone.

smooookin 02-07-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 555655)
Get a whetstone and sharpen the blade (face down on the whetstone). You'll notice a big difference.

I flew right past the whetstone and went straight to the bench top belt sander. It did make some difference.....better living thru power tools!!

Ashmont 02-07-2008 04:35 PM

Instead

Try cutting in long slender strips. I noticed that that makes it alot easier than stuffing cubes... IMHO Happy grinding!