The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New to me Egg (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259203)

newtwoq 04-16-2018 03:18 PM

New to me Egg

I had a Lg BGE follow me home yesterday from my parents, dad only used it once before he passed. He had the shelves, plate setter, pizza stone, etc. I can’t wait to cook on it!

Now to learn how to run the new cooker!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c2c922f310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMosher 04-16-2018 03:42 PM

You are gonna love the egg. Just be sure to read up on cooking on Kamodo style cookers. Learn to burp the lid when cooking so you won't lose any arm hair. Took me a couple of times losing arm hair to learn to do this. Do not use any lighter fluid on it. Other then that have fun.

SWMN 04-16-2018 03:46 PM

Nice! You're going to love it.

I've got two eggs and I love cooking on them. Once you get the hang of temperature control, they're *almost* set-it-and-forget-it easy. If you're looking for help, check out www.eggheadforum.com. You'll learn everything you need to know about BGEs there.

newtwoq 04-16-2018 03:58 PM

Thanks guys! I can't wait for some steaks and pizza off this thing!

It may replace my kettles which both need some TLC this summer if they stay in the rotation.

tenpenny_05 04-16-2018 04:09 PM

Go get the thickest steak you can find and do a reverse sear. Best use of the kamado that I've found so far!

WeberWho 04-16-2018 04:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your Pops. The egg can be a nice tribute to him everytime you fire it up. The BGE is a game changer! Congrats!

jermoQ 04-16-2018 05:06 PM

Alright! That should be fun. Good cooking.

Hankdad1 04-16-2018 05:17 PM

You're going to love that egg, and it will be extra special since it was your father's. I still have the 18" Weber kettle my father gave me over 40 years ago.

Michigan BBQ Fan 04-16-2018 05:24 PM

Congrats on the new addition to the family. Make your Dad proud and sear some steaks in his honor. Excited to see your cooks.

CptKaos 04-16-2018 06:49 PM

Congrats on the egg, they are great cookers.

Larry

LMAJ 04-16-2018 07:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but it is a great way to remember him every time you cook on it.
We got into smoking because my Mom bought my Dad a smoker, but he passed before he ever used it. That Christmas his smoker ended up under my tree. It has turned into a great hobby Al and I do together.
You will love the Egg - very easy to use, and very versatile. Enjoy!

R2Egg2Q 04-17-2018 01:29 AM

Sorry about the loss of your father. Nice that his Egg went to you.

Rockinar 04-17-2018 02:00 AM

The main thing with kamados is to use only the large chunks of lump. Everything will go smooth if you do. If you start using the medium pieces and the shake in the bottom of the bag, you start running into drafting problems and difficulty getting the pit up to temp. Also dont overshoot your temp, it will take a while to get it back down. Start to make your adjustments before you reach your target temp. Its easy to raise the temp. Difficult to bring it down.

greenmountainsmoke 04-17-2018 07:20 AM

Got a great cooker and a way to connect w your dad every time you cook on it.

dgaddis1 04-17-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinar (Post 3982121)
The main thing with kamados is to use only the large chunks of lump. Everything will go smooth if you do. If you start using the medium pieces and the shake in the bottom of the bag, you start running into drafting problems and difficulty getting the pit up to temp. Also dont overshoot your temp, it will take a while to get it back down. Start to make your adjustments before you reach your target temp. Its easy to raise the temp. Difficult to bring it down.

IME it depends on what you're doing. If you're going for high heat, bigger pieces work best because they help with the air flow. For long overnight smokes, smaller pieces work best because you'll have less chance of the fire going out. More surface contact between the pieces of lump, and more fuel in the cooker.

I had one cook on my Egg where the fire went out. For whatever reason the fire didn't 'jump' to all the lump, when I opened the cooker I had a donut of un-lit lump - the fire had burned down the center of the pile but not spread outward. After that when I dumped the lit lump on top of the pile for overnight smokes I made sure to spread the lit coals out, not just leave them piled in the center, never had another problem.