The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Murphysboro, Illinois anyone? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77535)

Jeff_in_KC 02-02-2010 06:22 PM

Murphysboro, Illinois anyone?

I've been wanting to try something a little different this year since I've mastered the KCBS format (LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: ) so I was re-watching the Pitmasters series and liked the show in Murphysboro. Seems the dual sanctioning (KCBS and MBN) going on at the SAME TIME would create quite a challenge. I'm not doing whole hog (no room on the cooker) but I'd consider doing ribs and maybe shoulder (since two categories are the same price), along with the four KBS categories. Has anyone here cooked Murphysboro in the past? I'm assuming that it's a pretty good one since it's Mike Mills who runs it. Any comments or suggestions on it?

Ron_L 02-02-2010 06:25 PM

Ther are a couple of guys who cooked there last year. I'm sure that they will chime in. We're thinking about it also, so I'll be watching the responses with interest.

KC_Bobby 02-02-2010 08:41 PM

That's the week before the Royal right?

watertowerbbq 02-02-2010 09:28 PM

A friend of mine and I are discussing cooking it. Nothing firm yet, but it's on the radar.

monty3777 02-02-2010 09:55 PM

We talked about it - since we lost our whole hog comp in Iowa. It's quite a drive for us, though.

stlgreg 02-02-2010 09:56 PM

I am one of the ones that has cooked it in the past including last year. Its a lot of fun. I really like the contest.

Three years ago I competed with a different team and we won ribs in the MBN side. There was no KCBS side back then. The last two years the wife and I have cooked the KCBS side. We really have a good time and it is a great contest. I would like to do both sides but I just dont have all the teammates that i need to pull it off.

Remember if you are going to do shoulders you have to cook the whole shoulder not just the butt. I think they are a 16lbs minimum.

stlgreg 02-02-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 1166844)
That's the week before the Royal right?

yes it is.

it is actually the third weekend after labor day. So it moves sometimes. But for at least the next two years it will be the week before the royal.

DocStl 02-03-2010 06:59 AM

I cooked it the last 2 years, Mike and Amy put on a real good contest. But, this year i didnt get down till Friday afternoon and barely got my trailer in. You do have to adjust your KCBS times as they are a lot farther apart than the norm. I think chicken turn in was 10 or 1030 and pork was after chicken? not sure, but remember 2 meats switched around somewhere and like 1.5 hours apart. 50 yr old brain straining to remember hehe

stlgreg 02-03-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocStl (Post 1167176)
I cooked it the last 2 years, Mike and Amy put on a real good contest. But, this year i didnt get down till Friday afternoon and barely got my trailer in. You do have to adjust your KCBS times as they are a lot farther apart than the norm. I think chicken turn in was 10 or 1030 and pork was after chicken? not sure, but remember 2 meats switched around somewhere and like 1.5 hours apart. 50 yr old brain straining to remember hehe

oh yeah. The turn in times are
Chicken 10 - 10:10
Pork 1130-11:40
Ribs 1:00-1:10
Brisket 2:10-2:20

jamelvin 02-03-2010 01:48 PM

I live in Murphysboro so let me know if you have any question and I'll try to answer or find out for you. The contest was at capacity (or very close) so getting your app in early may be important.

Jeff_in_KC 02-03-2010 07:16 PM

Oh crap! Hadn't thought about that 8 months in advance! I guess I'll only get to go when I find I have the funds later if they aren'ty full! LOL! Wonder if I could register for the KCBS part and come back later and add the MBN? Jamelvin, do you know?

stlgreg 02-04-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC (Post 1168076)
Oh crap! Hadn't thought about that 8 months in advance! I guess I'll only get to go when I find I have the funds later if they aren'ty full! LOL! Wonder if I could register for the KCBS part and come back later and add the MBN? Jamelvin, do you know?

I know. You can do that. Last year I think they opened registration in June. The teams from teh previous year were given one week to sign up and then they opened it for everyone.

jamelvin 02-04-2010 01:25 PM

As Greg says, I'm pretty sure you can do that. The contests capacity is more space related than anything.

stlgreg 02-04-2010 02:22 PM

Actually the best thing about the contest is Joe (jamelvin) - If you need anything I mean ANYTHING he will get it for you.

Three years ago everyone on the team i was on slept at his house.
Joe - the dancing girls were a nice touch last year.

jamelvin 02-10-2010 02:44 PM

Not sure about getting anything but thanks Greg. Thought you'd appreciate the dancing girls :-).