The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156006)

sandy1975 03-12-2013 03:53 PM

What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers?

Looking for what brands are the best and how much they cost? I have a Big Green Egg.

deepsouth 03-12-2013 03:58 PM

i have never used any sort of temp controller other than the daisywheel and the draft door. i've never had any problem whatsoever maintaining temps in the big green egg.

i am waiting for a fellow forum member (woodpelletsmoker) to make his new wireless thermo though. i have wanted a reliable one of those and the last two i bought (sunbeam brand, i think) have been as horrible as you could imagine.

Groundhog66 03-12-2013 03:59 PM

Unless you plan to do a bunch of overnight cooks, it's a waste of money to buy one for a BGE IMO. I've got a Stoker, and I think I've used it 3-4 times in 2-3 years.

Andrew 03-12-2013 04:01 PM

i am the temp controller :D

gtr 03-12-2013 04:08 PM

Another luddite here. :heh:

I bought the iQue, used it a few times, it worked great. Now it doesn't work at all for some reason and I'm too lazy to figure it out and my life has been OK without it. Everybody has their methods and each person should do what works best for them. My approach is to use as few devices as possible (which basically means none) because I don't like having to rely on anything. Bear in mind I'm just a backyarder. If I was competing, catering, etc. it might well be another story altogether.

---k--- 03-12-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 2404471)
I bought the iQue, used it a few times, it worked great. Now it doesn't work at all for some reason and I'm too lazy to figure it out and my life has been OK without it. Everybody has their methods and each person should do what works best for them. My approach is to use as few devices as possible (which basically means none) because I don't like having to rely on anything. Bear in mind I'm just a backyarder. If I was competing, catering, etc. it might well be another story altogether.

Exactly the same here!

ButtBurner 03-12-2013 04:15 PM

I have an Auber.

I have one of the cheapest, simple vertical smokers there is.

It makes it work like a champ.

I can smoke sausages at 160f or chicken at 275f

The reason I use it is I have it on my smoker at my cabin, for example I put a venison roast on and went snowmobiling, came back to the cabin 4 hours later to a perfectly cooked meal.

its a great product.

Bludawg 03-12-2013 04:18 PM

I employ a model made in Mexico "Manuel Pitmaster"

Wampus 03-12-2013 04:22 PM

I use the intake and exhaust to control the temps on all of my pits.

Stoke&Smoke 03-12-2013 04:51 PM

I bought a Guru when I first bought my BGE. used it once or twice and ended up selling it to a Brethren.

Just not nescessary. We do comps with WSM's and other than a Maverick 732, don't really feel the need for temp control devices, just a good thermometer

J-Rod 03-12-2013 04:58 PM

I use the well-malted mush between my ears. :razz:

yakdung 03-12-2013 05:03 PM

I own one of these. I purchased it for the long overnight cooks.
http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/DigiQ%20DX2

IamMadMan 03-12-2013 05:06 PM

I adjust the air intake

charrederhead 03-12-2013 05:10 PM

Vents! :wink:

Gnaws on Pigs 03-12-2013 05:13 PM

I don't really see why you'd need one with any kamado-style cooker, the vents work fine. Even my Akorn will hold temps like an oven for 10-12 hours with only very minor adjustments. To me, learning your pit and how to control it is part of the art of cooking bbq.