• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQGeekess's 30 Gallon UDS Build Thread

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I finally went out to a local container supply company and purchased a brand new unlined 30 gallon drum with lid for $60 today--it's flawless dent-wise except for some scratches on the paint which isn't an issue since I am burning all the paint off. (It comes with a rust inhibitor sprayed on the inside which I am told easily burns off and that the drum is very suitable for a smoker after burning.)

Here is a picture of it:

en0ug.jpg

Right after purchasing this drum I headed over to Harbor Freight and bought a pair of stepped drill bits for $17.99--the diameters of which goes well above 1" if needed.

So I guess I start by drilling out 3 holes and then start a bon fire in it.

If this was your drum how many inches would you drill up for the intake holes, and what diameter should the holes be? 3/4" 1" ?

More questions to come later, thanks! :)

If using elbows and risers 1" - if not 3/4" 2-2.5" off bottom so ash can't block them. Use oil or WD40'on those step bits or they will dull quick. 3/4" pipe nipples need 7/8" hole and 1" needs 1 1/4 or 1 5/16" hole.

Last edited:
I would go with 1" intakes. I goofed by added smaller (and fewer - 3) intakes than I should have. I'll look for my build thread.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I just for the first time put my fabricated--from aluminum flashing--slider vents up to the drum surface and pressed down on each end like they'd be screwed in place. The fit perfectly pressing down on them making them arc, and slide so smoothly yet tightly. I am thinking about using these vents I just hope they don't warp out from the heat. They only cost me about a quarter to make not including the 4 screws.

I guess I'll start with 2 x 1 1/8" holes with the slider vents and add another vent in the back if needed later on. I have two slider vents made at the moment and was going to install them on the front 1/3rd of the circumference apart--Big Poppa Smoker-Like.

The only risk is if they warp and don't work out, is that I'd have 8 little screw holes to fill in later.

I will be watching this thread, I want a mini uds.

Here is a link to a video I just made of my boyfriend pressing the slider vent up against the drum and operating it. (I fabricated it from aluminum flashing, by just cutting on my heavy duty paper cutter and folding it.)

Let me know what you think. "View My video" link below:

View My Video

Wish I knew how to embed the video into the message.

Me too. That one requires flash player which doesn't work on the iPhone or iPad.

If you upload it to YouTube, you can embed it into a post here.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

You really don't need to burn that drum out that RI should wash out with hot water & simple green. In my former life I was a machinist and the best Drill lube you can use on any metal is cheap azz dish soap from the Dollar store and it is food safe too.

Looks like you're off to a great start on the build. On a side note I believe you that videos can no longer be embedded here on this site (some legal issue) as Donny recently tried and couldn't either.

I am guessing no one can see the video because I haven't really gotten any comments on it. I used tinypic.com to host the video -- don't know if that is the problem.

But here is a still image of the 20 second or so long video. That's my boyfriend holding it in place for me, and operating it in the video.

9kqh02.png

I've decided that I am going to design this drum to do four functions.

1. Smoker (non-diffused and diffused) using 1 or 2 cooking grates and 3rd grate for optional diffuser medium.
2. Grill (adjustable fire basket can sit up higher right under grate for grilling)
3. PBC-Like (hanging meat from rebar & hooks--will stop holes for the rebar with stainless steel bolts, washers & nuts when not using this feature.)
4. Rotisserie -- again I'll stop all the holes with bolts, washers & nuts when this feature isn't being used.

If this works well, I might get rid of my mini wsm, hasty bake and weber kettle.

I am guessing no one can see the video because I haven't really gotten any comments on it. I used tinypic.com to host the video -- don't know if that is the problem.

But here is a still image of the 20 second or so long video. That's my boyfriend holding it in place for me, and operating it in

Sweet looking sliding vent!

Sweet looking sliding vent!

I am afraid to attach them because I don't know how they will hold up, lol. I wonder if they will warp bad after some use making leaks? They are pretty thin (aluminum roof flashing). (I made them with a paper cutter, a clamp, block of wood, edge of a wooden workbench--so simple like origami lol).

Back