Biscuit Recipe

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK guys, not a great baker, but I want to dabble in making some biscuits. What I am looking for is a biscuit that will hold up to made into a breakfast sandwich. So light crumbly break apart biscuits may not get it done. Simple is good too :) So take a moment and let me know your biscuit recipe so that I may give it a try. Scott

You should see if Bigdog's wife will give up her biscuit recipe. Her's were very good.

1 Tube of Pilsberry grands and a preheated oven. I hate making dough.
Like a fatty, I use the stuff in the tube.

I had some success with these

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 162
This is my recipe. I have been cooking these for about 15 years. I started with a traditional recipe and tweaked it here and there over the years until I decided to settle on this version. If you don't have semolina flour of you don't like the rustic texture it produces than omit the semolina and it will still work great. Like anything else learning to make great biscuits takes some practice but then that's the fun of it too. Don't be afraid to knead these a bit and keep the ingredients very cold. If you cut them with a large diameter cutter they make great sandwiches.

Buttermilk Biscuits

4 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
1 cup semolina flour
5 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs salt
2 sticks salted butter cut in 1/2" cubes
2 cups whole butter milk

Heat oven to 450*
Mix dry ingredients well
Add butter cubes and mix with a pastry blender until fully incorporated
Add butter milk and mix by hand until smooth adding a splash of butter milk if you need to so the dough isn't too dry, kneed a few times on a floured surface, and roll until 1/2 thick.
Cut biscuits with a sharp cutter and brush with more salted butter
Bake until nicely browned... 10 min

Biscuits are a recipe of course, but you also have to get a feel for the dough. You just plain have to do it a few times to figure it out.
Biscuit dough should be fairly loose. What the heck does that mean? I don't know, but I could sure show you.
Zillas recipe looks darn good, I'll show you mine, know it by heart.
2 cup flour
2 TB baking powder
1/2 teaspn soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 TB butter
2 tb crisco
2/3 cup buttermilk (but it might take a whole cup)

the method is the same. I like my biscuits soft and steamy inside-ALMOST undercooked. Thats the part I almost never get perfect, but they're still pretty good anyway.
Just keep a mental record of how that dough looked when you brought it together, when the biscuits look right, you will remember the groove.

Then try pie dough! Want to talk about a PIA?! Drives me bananas!

I learned to make biscuits from my first ex-mother-in-law. She was a country girl from Bells TN, now living in Coffeeville MS. My training had nothing to do with measuring. It was dump this much all purpose flour, this much baking powder, this much salt. Cut in this much cold lard (substitute crisco), this much butter to get to this consistency. Then add milk until your dough looks like this. Then bake in a preheated (475) oven for 10min or until they look like you want them to.

That is how I learned.

Since then I have broken it down for teaching others. This is close to the ingredients. I don't know what it is about biscuits, but it seems to literally change with the weather.

As anyone that cooks biscuits knows; this is just a kinda general portion outline:

Approx 2 cups all purpose flour
I generally go with 3.5 tsp baking powder per cup of flour. So 7 tsp. flour
I don't use baking soda (that's why so much powder). In my worthless opinion, baking powder adds a bitter taste
1 tsp. salt (more or less depending if you will be using salted butter, or what you will be putting on the biscuits).
Mix these dry ingredients together

Cut in two TB "cold" crisco. Not frozen just firm. Cut it in until most lumps are gone. Cut in two TB "cold" salted butter. Again until most lumps are gone.

On a scale low (sandy) medium (slightly chunky but don't stick together when pressed with a fork) High (chunks that stick together when pressed with a fork)
These ingredients should be a medium to slightly medium plus

Then you add milk. Milk should be added in small increments. You can't subtract milk. So add a little as you go. This is tricky because you want to stir or manipulate the dough as little as possible. Do not knead the dough. It will over work the dough. Also you use cold milk. The idea behind cold crisco, butter and milk is to have all the ingredients mixed and into the oven while they are still cold. They hold together better and will rise better. They won't "spread" out on you.

You add milk and mix with a fork until the dry crumbs on the bottom of the bowl are incorporated into the dough. Too much milk will make the dough like paste and gooey, but you have to have enough to keep the biscuits moist.

Dump out on a floured surface. You should be able to scoop it out fairly easy. Flour up your hands and press the dough flat 1/2 inch, not over handling with your warm hands. Fold it in half and press out again, again to half inch. Cut into slightly smaller size than what you want your finished biscuits to be. Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet.

When arranging your biscuits on the cookie sheet: If you like soft sides and soft centers arrange your uncooked biscuits slightly touching. If you like crisper sandwich type biscuits set them about 1" apart.

Always let your oven finish preheating before putting in your biscuits. Do not open the oven at all while the biscuits are cooking. You do not want the temps to drop at all. Kinda like my smoker at my house; you could lose a hand.

This should get you close. Like anything else, it takes practice. I have been doing this so long I don't measure anything. Some of this, some of that, blah, blah, blah.

I hope this helps. I really wish I could show you what the consistencies should look like. My Grandson and I just made some biscuits "shooters" that were his size yesterday. He was eating them all day.

I got rid of my photobucket account. So you can see pictures here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=322840&id=1742841560&ref=fbx_album

Thanks so much folks. Gonna try them all!!! Looking for a "personal" biscuit for a trip I have planned where I will be doing breakfast sammies. As for pie crusts....My wife is da bomb on pie crusts.

I've been trying to clone Pillsubry's buttermilk biscuits, with no success. If anyone can provide a recipe or some advice to match their texture and taste, much appreciated. Tasty, and the biscuits absorb melted butter like a sponge.

Back