The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Contest Results King of the Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149185)

cmohr74 12-10-2012 07:25 PM

I personally have to say thank you to Sterling of Big Poppa Smokers. Although I did not compete, attend, or even have the opportunity to ever meet you, the charity portion of this speaks close to home. My son was born with a kidney disease, Hydronephrosis, and we were able to catch it super early being my wife works for a Reproductive Genetics Clinic. Either way, we got to spent some quality time with the Pediatric doctors of Childrens Memorial in Chicago. So contest aside, what you did in rasing that money for others is awesome. So a personal thank you from my family and my son.

Fornia 12-10-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmohr74 (Post 2293857)
I personally have to say thank you to Sterling of Big Poppa Smokers. Although I did not compete, attend, or even have the opportunity to ever meet you, the charity portion of this speaks close to home. My son was born with a kidney disease, Hydronephrosis, and we were able to catch it super early being my wife works for a Reproductive Genetics Clinic. Either way, we got to spent some quality time with the Pediatric doctors of Childrens Memorial in Chicago. So contest aside, what you did in rasing that money for others is awesome. So a personal thank you from my family and my son.

Could not be said better. Most all of us go into something non-BBQ realted for our livings and family come Monday morning.

Put aside the contest, interaction, and experience....and if all you're left with is the worthwhile cause alone. We've ALL won. No more to say.

Big Poppa 12-10-2012 08:38 PM

thanks everybody...The hardest part of the job was putting up with two months of shots on the internet...Its done...we had a blast....the teams had more fun and I hope the patrons had an even better time

For those of you who I didn't get to invite...I meant no disrespect..This is the first of many I hope.

JD McGee 12-10-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Poppa (Post 2293601)
donations from patrons and supporters of the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. 25K came from the gate and merch sales.\...Includes a check slipped to e at the after awards dinner for 10K)

The KOS was the featured event for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation that is named after my son who was born with bad kidneys and had 8 operations before his 6th birthday. ( he is 24 and was one of the featured entertainers...classical guitar at the KOS) To date we have raised nearly 8 million dollars for pediatric kidney disease. The center and lab is named after Casey at UCLA and we have endowed the chair there...we also support research at Seattle Childrens Hospital
Texas Childrens Hospital and Cincinnati Childrens hospital. When I announced the KOS was benefiting the CLB people not involved in BBQ sent me additional donations.

Wow! :clap::clap::clap:

sparky' 12-10-2012 11:24 PM

congrats on a great bbq contest and giving so much to charity. nicely done. :clap:

Big George's BBQ 12-11-2012 05:52 AM

WOW What an awesome event and for such a Great cause.. I would have loved to have been there

pat 12-11-2012 07:32 AM

Congrats on the event and the money raised...that is worth it all right there!

que_dawg 12-11-2012 07:32 AM

Sounds like this was a great event. Glad that it was a huge success and glad you raised some much needed $$$ in hard times. It's hard for most of us to realize how much better we have it than many people affected by these terrible illnesses. I bet all of those families would gladly take on some money problems to have their family members in good health. In most cases, they already have the money problems anyway because of the medical problems. Well done to all that contributed!

Scottie 12-11-2012 08:22 AM

Wow, amazing Sterling. Huge numbers that you have raised and will raise. Much respect bro.

Funtimebbq 12-11-2012 08:41 AM

From a judges perspective, this contest was great for a couple of reasons. First, was the no garnish rule. Every box I saw was well thought out as the teams really went out of their way to fill the boxes with goodness while using very creative ways to display the meat.
The idea of handing out the meat to the teams, specifically 8 chicken quarters, gave the judges something other than thighs to look at. I really appreciated that opportunity.
Thanks Sterling for bringing this new concept to the bbq community. You and your staff worked really hard to put this together and the results showed.
Benny

Smokin' Joe 12-11-2012 11:03 AM

Great job to Sterling and his Big Poppas staff:clap: Its all been said, but I'll say it again! A 1st class event all the way - the annemities and accomodations were second to none. Not to mention how the contest itself was ran, there are a couple of invitationals out there that could learn a thing or two about judge selection, reps, and just how to run a contest in general from Sterling and his crew! It was an honor to be asked to compete, and I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity!

SCSmoke 12-13-2012 12:20 PM

Does anyone have some pics or maybe a video from the contest. Would love to see them. Thanks!

YellowSuge 12-13-2012 12:25 PM

I have a few on my FB page here

SCSmoke 12-13-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowSuge (Post 2296048)
I have a few on my FB page here

Awesome! Thank you.

wyocurt 12-13-2012 01:24 PM

WOW it was great and a big THANK YOU Big Pappa. It was the nicest venue and setting that was ever. From the time you walked in you had the feeling that this is class. Thank You for raising all the money for charity and I will say it was something the west coast needed. again a job well done .