What did I do wrong?

suziemc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I smoked the perfect tasting turkey for Thanksgiving. It just looked ugly and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did wrong. I did not take any pictures because I honestly thought it was ugly & thought it was not going to be any good, but to my surprise it tasted WONDERFUL. The turkey was very moist, the moistest turkey I have ever made. I just don't know why the skin turned black. I normally smoke with Florida Oak & Pecan wood. But this time I used some hickory I got from my dad's mountain in Upstate NY. I had a beautiful 1 inch smoke ring that my husband is still talking about. I'm wondering if it was because of the wood; this was the first time I used hickory. My turkey was 18 lbs and was in a salt water & herb brine for about 24 hours. My temp on my UDS was between 325-350 the whole time. The bird took exactly 3 hours took cook and was removed from the smoker when the internal breast temp reached 160. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know and in the future I will take pictures no matter how bad I think it looks. Thanks!

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.....It's all about the taste, not a beauty contest :wink:

Sounds like you did nothing wrong at all! I think I heard words like "best" most "moist" turkey ever. Nailed it I think!

Did you rub the skin with anything after the brine before putting it on the cooker?
Were you really putting the smoke to it? If so, this may account for the black skin. With a 1" smoke ring, the outside may have gotten too much smoke. I'm just guessing.

I wouldn't really worry about it. If everyone liked it and thought it was moist, I say it was a success!

Thanks guys...Oh yes...I rubbed the turkey with butter and sprinkled it with seasoning. I kept the wood going, it was smoking the whole time. It really was good and I'm just not saying that because I made it.

It only matters if you are entering it in one of the Throwdowns.
If you do enter then it doesn't matter what it tastes like.

I really should join in the throwdowns. :becky:

Thanks guys...Oh yes...I rubbed the turkey with butter and sprinkled it with seasoning. I kept the wood going, it was smoking the whole time. It really was good and I'm just not saying that because I made it.

You say smoking the whole time, was it white smoke or thin blue smoke?

might also depend on how much wood you had mixed in with the coals, if you had to much it would not burn as fast and clean and could leave the skin black, but if it tasted good and was moist I would say that was a hit.

Since I don't plan on eating the skin from a smoked turkey I never worry about mine looking a bit "dark" (a common thing when I slow smoke a turkey). As long as the meat was done, moist and tasty ... I would say all was good ... who care about the skin being "dark" ... just pull it off and serve the meat :-D

BTW - did the wood you used this time have bark on it? Does your cooking wood usually have bark? The bark can ad some darker results and sometimes a bitter flavor.

sounds like to heavy smoke. but if it tasted great then it dont matter what it looked like. not to many people eat smoked turkey skin anyway

Not sure if you tented with foil or not. But when asked we say get enough color and then lightly tent or cover with foil to keep in moisture and not get too dark. Steve.

Back