The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dual Remote Thermometer - Some questions ... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92115)

gtsum 09-10-2010 09:28 PM

I use mine (along with a Cyberq) on my Primo oval xl..no issues with it going between the felt gasket (or nomex gasket)..I've had the same one for about 4 years now I think..still works fine...GBR!!!!!!!!

SacramentoHusker 09-10-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1398144)
I've never really found the need for a remote thermometer. I use a couple of these...

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/10/11/pr...a-thermometer/

Using the WSM or UDS (and as I understand it, ceramics) once you set the temp it's stable for hours. I just pop out once in awhile and check the temp.

I gave up on remote ones because, for the most part, they don't work long enough to justify the cost.

Well, it's $40, so I'm not too worried about the cost. The thermometer to which you linked, though, won't work for my application. I need something that can give me grill temp, and I'm worried that something that's only rated to ~400F will die the first time I put it in the Kamado. I'm not worried about remotely monitoring the meat, really. I'm much more worried about the grill temperature.

BBQ Grail 09-10-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SacramentoHusker (Post 1398159)
Well, it's $40, so I'm not too worried about the cost. The thermometer to which you linked, though, won't work for my application. I need something that can give me grill temp, and I'm worried that something that's only rated to ~400F will die the first time I put it in the Kamado. I'm not worried about remotely monitoring the meat, really. I'm much more worried about the grill temperature.

You smoking at over 400 degrees?

Just a recommendation from someone that's been using them for years...but then again I prefer to smoke my meat in the under 250 degree range.

SacramentoHusker 09-10-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1398166)
You smoking at over 400 degrees?

Just a recommendation from someone that's been using them for years...but then again I prefer to smoke my meat in the under 250 degree range.

Not planned, but I'm especially concerned about flareups since the fire source is directly below the grill. The nice thing about the product I linked was its alarm system. Also, the IKEA one (of which I will be getting a few, just in case) only measures to 266F. If I want to do something at 300F (say, a turkey), it won't be able to handle it.

I do like the alternative you've presented, but I don't think it covers everything needed, that's all. I will be picking a few up, though.

caliking 09-10-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SacramentoHusker (Post 1398159)

FYI - the Mavericks only read to ~400F. After that the display reads somehting like Hi or HHH. There is a little silicone-like gasket/seal between the probe and the metal mesh wire covering. I think that would melt at higher temps - one of mine has but has so far not affected the functioning of the thermo.

SacramentoHusker 09-10-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliking (Post 1398226)
FYI - the Mavericks only read to ~400F. After that the display reads somehting like Hi or HHH. There is a little silicone-like gasket/seal between the probe and the metal mesh wire covering. I think that would melt at higher temps - one of mine has but has so far not affected the functioning of the thermo.

Thanks for that info!