The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Cooking Leg quarters (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145191)

smokinajs 10-01-2012 11:55 AM

Cooking Leg quarters

I have a request to cook 16 cases of leg quarters..

They only want me to pull up, fire up my cooker, and cook 16 cases of LQ.

Just cook it.. It is for a fun raising event.

What would you charge to cook the chicken... I was thinking a buck per piece but then I thought about it being a fun raiser so I am thinking about 50 cents per LQ.. They said 16 cases would be right at 700 pieces.

Let me know your thoughts ASAP...

chad 10-01-2012 12:35 PM

Personally, for a fund raiser, if it's something I believe in...I would not charge that much. I might take enough to cover fuel but that would be it. But, that's just me. I donate a lot of time to different causes.

Two weekends ago I did 200# of pork for a "Back to Church" emphasis. Spent Saturday prepping the meat, got up at 2 AM to light off the cooker. Cooked and pulled the pork along with a bunch of hotdogs for the kids, served, and cleaned up. I submitted receipts for the meat and seasonings and was reimbursed. I didn't charge for any other supplies or my time.

hamiltont 10-01-2012 12:43 PM

I'm with Chad. I did a fund raiser earlier this summer & didn't charge for anything. (They provided all the meat.) That's what fund raisers are all about, raising funds. YMMV... Cheers!!!

Bbq Bubba 10-01-2012 03:38 PM

Fund raiser = no charge.

If your not involved in the fundraiser then maybe pass it onto someone else that is.

landarc 10-01-2012 05:00 PM

A slightly different take, if you are not a supporter of the cause, but, feel that if you don't do it, they can't pull it off, then do it for cost plus a simple fee. I would say cost plus $75-$100 for a day of cooking would be fair to me.

About the only time I cook for crowds anymore is for charity, and despite the price I pay (physical pain, exhaustion) I never charge, but, I won't cook if I don't support the charity.

HBMTN 10-01-2012 05:03 PM

Just figure out what you would charge for a normal event and then figure out how much you would like to discount. It's really up to you and there is no wrong answer even if you don't discount a penny. I have a few events that I do for free because it is fundraising but you have to watch it or fundraising will take over and you will go broke.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ 10-01-2012 09:22 PM

For a fund raiser I would just cover all my cost and call it a day.

davidtxs 10-02-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ (Post 2231806)
For a fund raiser I would just cover all my cost and call it a day.

agreed ever see the movie Pay it Forward you will be rewarded over and over

PorkQPine 10-02-2012 10:42 AM

Make yourself a budget for fund raisers each year, almost every business I know has a budget for this sort of thing. If you are involved with the charity then do what you feel is a fair deal for them and you but if you are not involved and they are just looking for a guy to do the cooking then have a set price. It is really hard to do anything for less than $500 considering the time, rub, fuel etc. so that is my base for non-involved charities. Military cooks get me for free.