• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Water pan and baffle

N

njmike

Looking at the mod with the baffle and had a question.

I'm assuming that you must use the water pan for the baffle to work correctly, if not the heat and smoke will move up the right side a inch or two father away from the side wall than with out. Am I correct?

If you don't need the water pan, why not make a mini duct and end it in the middle of the smoker?

Thanks

Michael

You just started a POOPIE storm post.

You always need the water pan (filled with sand or water is another case of preference)

You need that heat sink to ensure you create a base of stable temperatures, without being at the whim of what fuel is burning at that exact moment.

my .02

Yep. The water pan is a must. Just try keeping the temps under control without it.

Some people put sand in the water pan and water in the cat's sand box....go figure.

You need to use water in the water pan lfor the resason Bill stated. Also did you know that water and water pans were invented in Chicago, IL? Not!

I tried cooking without the water pan once and it got ugly. ruined the better part of a rack of sausage, and some ribs on the rack above that. I learned my lesson.

NB put that waterpan in there for a reason.... and they also called it a WATER pan of a reason... Only time I will run wihout it is when i am finishing off a chicken and want to crispy up the skin a little, i take out the waterpan and move the chicken down a little.

So the pan is part of the baffle also. That's what I wanted to know.

parrothead said:
Yep. Sometimes it takes a while for us to get our point accross, but we do eventually.

If it was not, then I did not usderstand the baffle design, but now I see the light.

The full waterpan is actually a heatsink. It helps distribute the heat, retain it, keep it even and recover faster from opening the door.

My mods to my American Gourmet which included a diffuser/conductor plate enables me to keep stable temperatures without a water pan actually.

parrothead said:
Yep. Sometimes it takes a while for us to get our point accross, but we do eventually.

I never knew that! Wait till you find out were I used to put my water pan in the WSM before I had a talk with Phil.

Hankster said:
My mods to my American Gourmet which included a diffuser/conductor plate enables me to keep stable temperatures without a water pan actually.

hankster, being that American gourmet is a horizontal unit.. it doesnt apply here.. the water pans in the vertical units such as bandera, smoke kind dlx and WSM use the are thefre to dampen the effect of the direct heat.

You can benefit from this somewhat in a horizontal chamber by putting an inch of water across the bottom of the chamber. it will help even temps out and help in heat retention and recovery when u open the door.

Back