Curious: Front Yard/Driveway Cooking

Smoker34

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been looking through bbq/grilling sites for years and I often come across pictures and videos of people grilling and smoking in front of their houses in their driveways, for all the world to see. And this runs the gamut from small kettle grills, Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, offset smokers, etc. In all my years of living in suburban neighborhoods, I have never once seen anyone doing this. It's always done in the backyard. Why would anyone smoke or grill in front of their houses? It seems like a backyard activity to me.

Same here.Like you,I have seen pics of it on websites and such but never in real life.

Cook out front with my kettle and my Copperhead. Main reason is they are both kept in the garage. But it's nice to hang out and watch the neighborhood go by while drinking beer and my neighbors will generally swing over to chat and have beer with me.

Really? Cooking in the back of one's house is strange? Do you put your swimming pool, outdoor furniture and a hammock in the front? Seriously, I'm just curious about why anyone would do that.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I've seen people BBQing out front especially when they have some sort of an event like a Bday party. They're out there cooking burgers / hotdogs right next to the bounce house.

I have a buddy with a stick burner that he keeps in the garage and cooks with out front. He takes better care of that thing than his cars.

A lot of the pictures are outside of an attached garage. I also keep all my cookers in the garage but it happens to be detached and behind the house. I would likely be in the front driveway too if that were my setup.

Really? Cooking in the back of one's house is strange? Do you put your swimming pool, outdoor furniture and a hammock in the front? Seriously, I'm just curious about why anyone would do that.

And what is wrong with outdoor furniture or a hammock in the front? Just curious.

I've been looking through bbq/grilling sites for years and I often come across pictures and videos of people grilling and smoking in front of their houses in their driveways, for all the world to see. And this runs the gamut from small kettle grills, Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, offset smokers, etc. In all my years of living in suburban neighborhoods, I have never once seen anyone doing this. It's always done in the backyard. Why would anyone smoke or grill in front of their houses? It seems like a backyard activity to me.

Maybe you should get out of Jersey more often.
That happens all over the place.

My daughter loves animals. I am a super clean freak. We have two dogs, two cats, and a rabbit in the back yard. I thought it was gross to cook around them (not judging anyone that does, I just didn't like it). So I kept all my grills on the side of the house and moved whatever I was going to use on the drive way for the day. I got tired of doing that, so over the summer I built a fenced in grilling patio on the side of the house. It is fenced in and has my PBC, Humphrey's, PK, UDS, a stainless storage cart, a commercial fridge, and a small grilling canopy. This summer I am going to add a roof and some nice patio furniture! Not sure this answers your question, but I love my daughter and her animals bring her so much joy...so for me grilling in front was an easy choice.

Probably depends on the layout of the home. Keep all my grills/smokers in the attached garage, which is set back from the front of the house by ~25 feet. Real easy to move whatever gadget out on the driveway...taking them in the backyard would be silly. Plus, really easy to move prepped food out to the grill and then back in the house post cook.

My vehicle is always in the driveway so setup between it and the garage doors. Only people that can see what I'm doing are the next door neighbors on the side the garage is on. They've not complained once in 10 years.

Previous two homes also had attached garages. One was at the front of the structure and the other was flush with the front of the house. In those cases I cooked on the side of the garage, again for easy access to and from the kitchen via a side entry door.

Only homes I've cooked in the backyard had detached garages in the backyard.

Liking my current layout better than any of the others for the convenience.

I just thought my bone broth thread was gonna go to 10 pages! Dis gone be gud!
Don't sell your thread short. I could post many times there.

Bone "broth" is just flavored water. Bone stock is what you want.

That how us Cityfied Rednecks do it......

6bac655e296fe1707b7abdbce842679b.jpg
671ac43d0264bf14f3432cffe49c74c2.jpg
6233c8c90be84191260328d0ef0c7bcf.jpg
86cdccb27d224f8b3fd4cf27ce575c97.jpg
e27a7d519a115eecaaf27f06bad6c1b9.jpg
88e1c13c3427c4cfe86e25de57853451.jpg
cdn.com/20200226/cf184d8aa2265f03e84371e8c29d0780.jpg[/IMG]
0c20e58601fcbc82973bc136660c9244.jpg
838e5fbfbe1575c7b63d0b868afe5087.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's a weather thing for me. With the exception of my Big Chief box smoker, which I use mostly for fish, all my smokers are on the back yard patio. The Eggs laugh at snow or high wind, but my driveway is on the leeward side of my house..... so if I use my Mini WSM or the Big Chief, I'll set them up in the drive way. My drum is so light I can dolly it to the driveway, again to hide from the wind.

My ex-neighbor had a gas grill in his garage that he wheeled out on the driveway, and..... he set up a few extra lawn chairs as kind of a teaser. It was kind of open invitation to for neighbors to stop by (BYOB) and visit and have a few snacks before they cooked their main dinner.

My reason is because my smokers are too big to drag around back and I bought and sold and traded and or built 20 + smokers and I don’t feel like dragging 20+ smokers in and out of the backyard- and my back yard faces 20 acres of soccer fields and faces the north - so I get cold north wind blowing on my back porch all winter long - in the driveway house blocks the cold wind.
And my kitchen connects to the garage.........

Last edited:
Back