Need help with BW Competitor at high elevation

ribsrdone

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a friend that is trying to learn how to use a Backwoods Competitor. He lives at about 6100' above sea level. Does anyone have experience with this cooker at this altitude? Thanks in advance for your help.

I have not used that cooker, but I have catered a wedding at 9100ft, and it took a lot longer than I expected (way longer, but we made it). Because of the decreased air pressure you need higher heat and longer cooking times.

Yep, more time and higher temps. I learned the hard way as well.

I know water boils at approx. 194*F at those altitudes from being in the Rockies a few times. We were above that in the mountains outside Buena Vista in CO. working on Mt. Harvard. Installed a nat gas pack for heating and had to have a high altitude kit which had smaller gas orifice and enlarged air intakes per burner. I would think the same principle applies. Less fuel, more O2, close to same BTU output.

Just my .02. Good luck!

There are a number of resources out there for cooking at altitude. The lower partial pressure of the various components of atmosphere will make it necessary for higher temps and longer cook times. If your buddy knows those differences of cooking at altitude vs. at sea level and how it affects cooks then he'll probably be able to make the adjustments with his cooker.

Back