The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   $329 "Performer"-Style Akorn Kamado Sighted (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151435)

caliking 02-07-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2358541)
If weber has any plans on a kamado, none of us know about it, and it probably wouldn't go into effect for a long while

Weber just burnt itself out with the 21 new accessories they just unveiled in 21days. I think they are tapped out for a few years, at least as far as innovation goes.

javahog2002 02-07-2013 10:55 PM

no Akorn at the HD today.

cropduster 06-18-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxfire (Post 2331143)
I think this new cart model is pretty interesting, but to be honest, it's neither a deal breaker or deal maker for me, personally, and given my cooking space, I like the mobility of the old tripod version. I've been going back and forth between getting an Akorn or a ceramic kamado for months now, and have decided with the cookers I already own, the Akorn will suit my needs nicely, and with no regrets. I'm likely to pull the trigger on a standard 3-wheel Akorn before the weekend.

That said, I'm going to be really interested in following this cooker and it's marketing. Am I the only one that has to wonder if a kamado maker seems to be squarely modeling itself after a Weber product with similar price point, you'd have to think there has to have been a meeting at Weber at some point weighing the pros and cons of entering the kamado market -- particularly the steel body one given their quality in that area and the way the Steel Keg and Akorn marketing has gone so far... right?

I think you are correct and now that Weber, as of April 2013 has discontinued the Ducane line of gas grills, its entirely possible that we see Ducane kamados. It only makes sense.

Grain Belt 06-18-2013 12:53 PM

Weber dominates the charcoal grill market. They dominate the 400-550 market with their Spirit line. They dominate the 650-850 market with their Genesis line. Their Summit line does very well at 1700+. The WSM does quite well. If I was part of their team I would just continue to design and innovate within their areas of greatness. They certainly could throw us a curve and get into the Kamado world but I don't really see it.

cropduster 06-18-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grain Belt (Post 2520434)
Weber dominates the charcoal grill market. They dominate the 400-550 market with their Spirit line. They dominate the 650-850 market with their Genesis line. Their Summit line does very well at 1700+. The WSM does quite well. If I was part of their team I would just continue to design and innovate within their areas of greatness. They certainly could throw us a curve and get into the Kamado world but I don't really see it.

All of what you state is true, but why kill...or let die the Ducane brand?
One could argue that Weber was competing with themselves with both the Ducane Affinity line and the Spirit line. So discontinuing the Affinity line might make some strategic sense. But Ducane is still a solid brand that Weber paid a lot for. Would make perfect business sense to sell a new(to Weber) product line in clearly growing market segment.