The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My new favorite breakfast meat... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143679)

deguerre 09-10-2012 10:40 AM

My new favorite breakfast meat...

No pics but I did have to share. I had this brisket point leftover from last weekend's cook. I did it hot and fast in the kettle - about 325 grate temp - using Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow (For those who have not yet tried this - you NEED to...) for the rub. It was a 12 lb choice CAB that I left untrimmed and cooked fat cap down to about 175 when I panned and foiled it 'til done so the point was a pretty good size when I removed it. The flat was gone in only a couple days between the three of us but what to do with the point?

So...Saturday night. Hadn't gone to the grocery store recently, we were HUNGRY and there wasn't anything we could prepare quickly. Then I remembered...

:idea:

We had the point! I wondered how it would do if sliced and panfried like bacon? Sooooo...I made about 1/4" slices across the grain, and noted there was a fat layer about 3/8" thick...perfect. Into a medium hot skillet with no oil it went, figuring that fat would render pretty quick...which it did, making for a great fry. Redhot came in wondering if I was frying bacon...:becky:...don't know if it was the beef/fat/rub combo but MAN did it smell gooooooooood. Let it go for a few minutes per side getting a really nice brown and exterior crunch just like a good thick bacon does.

This stuff was awesome! Our only regret is that we didn't have enough eggs to fry in the pan grease. Next time we'll know better.
Heck. This was good enough for me to want to cook another packer just to get the point to do it over again. :thumb::thumb:

I'm sure plenty of folks have already done this but it was new to me. Thanks for listening!

bluetang 09-10-2012 10:47 AM

Got my attention:clap2:

slow-smoker 09-10-2012 10:49 AM

Sounds good Guerry. I wish I could ever find a full packer around here. All I ever see is the flat. I guess I ought to be thankful I can even find those.

caseydog 09-10-2012 10:54 AM

Sounds good, even though it didn't happen. :becky:

CD

deguerre 09-10-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2207032)
Sounds good, even though it didn't happen. :becky:

CD

We, um, dropped the Kodak once too often and killed it...

aquablue22 09-10-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2207036)
We, um, dropped the Kodak once too often and killed it...

Now like your PANTS though?

Sound interesting.

nthole 09-10-2012 11:05 AM

I do this all week long after a contest with the leftover brisket. It is da chit!

SmokinAussie 09-10-2012 11:08 AM

No pics... but I believe it DID HAPPEN!:shocked:

va92bronco 09-10-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow-smoker (Post 2207020)
Sounds good Guerry. I wish I could ever find a full packer around here. All I ever see is the flat. I guess I ought to be thankful I can even find those.

Try Walmart. They have them in Richmond. Be a select, but better than nothing.

Never tried the fried trick with leftover brisket. Usually go with Brisket chili which is awesome. Have to try this next time.

chriscw81 09-10-2012 11:16 AM

No pics but my imagination helped with that problem :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MisterChrister 09-10-2012 11:42 AM

Yumma yumma, sounds at least as good a burnt ends! Gonna hafta try that next time!

Johnny_Crunch 09-10-2012 12:31 PM

That sounds good!

nucornhusker 09-10-2012 01:04 PM

Yep. I'll be trying this too. :thumb:

PatAttack 09-10-2012 01:32 PM

Sounds almost as good as the In-N-Out Burger...:razz:

landarc 09-10-2012 01:50 PM

I make a similar thing, using very thinly sliced brisket and a hot cast iron pan, just crisps up the point perfectly. I use it for ramen and for hash as well.