The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1st UDS Build Today (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92536)

Anchors Smokeshop 09-18-2010 08:06 AM

1st UDS Build Today

I'm going to pick up a new 55 gallon drum to turn into a UDS now. I've already studied all of the UDS threads and drafted a design plan and parts list that I would need for today's build.
Any additional information (tips, tricks, mods, etc.) that the brethren can provide would be really appreciated.
I will post pics of the completed project later.

bluetang 09-18-2010 08:11 AM

Cool for you:thumb: Keep us in the loop on the build:-D

colonel00 09-18-2010 08:14 AM

Best advice is to keep it simple for your first build. Norcoredneck's design and tutorial will provide a blueprint for a UDS that will work great and cause minimal headaches in both assembly and operation.

BlueHowler 09-18-2010 10:22 AM

Stick with the three air intake holes. I thought that if three is good why not do four? Four is to many and I really only use two at the most after the charcoal is nice and hot.

Anchors Smokeshop 09-18-2010 02:58 PM

Just got home with the new drum and all of the parts. Time to get to work. Very excited!!

chaddie 09-18-2010 03:24 PM

Congratulations, Anchors!! May your build suit you well! Remember the K.I.S.S :-D

willie 09-18-2010 03:25 PM

have fun, and i agree with colonel00, stick with norcoredneck's design, u won't regret it!
keep us updated!

che22879 09-18-2010 06:18 PM

cool! I'm looking forward to thew pics of it done. :thumb:

Anchors Smokeshop 09-18-2010 10:02 PM

Ok, so I installed the grill mounts, 2 handles on the drum, 1 handle on the lid, 2 hooks on the lid and started drilling the 3 holes for the vents. Unfortunately, I don't have a 1" drill bit.
In the morning I need to get a bit to finish the vents. Plus I need to build the charcoal basket. More pics to follow.

Meat Burner 09-19-2010 12:04 AM

That's cool James. I have built about a dozen UDS for myself and friends and just a little advise. DO NOT REDESIGN IT... everyone keeps saying KISS and that will serve you well brother. It is a cooking machine until you try to make it more complicated. Good luck, sounds like you are excited which is a good thing. Keep us posted bro.

Norcoredneck 09-19-2010 08:04 AM

Get more Beer!

Dr_KY 09-19-2010 11:55 AM

SAgrfeeefd!! *beer*

KISS is the only way. add a bottle opener if you want a mod and perhaps a trick paint design but that's all you will ever need.

Anchors Smokeshop 09-19-2010 05:08 PM

I have been following Norco's design and keeping it simple.
Here are a few more questions:
1. It is a food grade drum that contained Apple juice. It has a coating of white paint on the inside. Does this need to be burned out?
2. If I do have to burn out the interior paint, will it ruin the exterior paint?
3. If it ruins the exterior paint, do I need to sand, prime and repaint the exterior with high heat paint?

colonel00 09-19-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop (Post 1406467)
I have been following Norco's design and keeping it simple.
Here are a few more questions:
1. It is a food grade drum that contained Apple juice. It has a coating of white paint on the inside. Does this need to be burned out?
2. If I do have to burn out the interior paint, will it ruin the exterior paint?
3. If it ruins the exterior paint, do I need to sand, prime and repaint the exterior with high heat paint?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

General rule is you want bare metal on the interior prior to seasoning. Anything else inside the drum could potentially be harmful when you have heat in the drum.

Depending on the liner, you will probably need a hot fire to get rid of it and you will still need to sand/grind the interior after the burn. Typically, when the drum gets that hot, the exterior paint will burn or melt.

Now, I have been able to paint the exterior after the burn without having to sand and prime. Granted, this might reduce the longevity of the drum but its has worked fine so far. I recommend the high heat engine enamel found at an auto parts store.

biggs98 09-19-2010 06:54 PM

BURN BABY BURN!!!!!!

After you burn it you might want to hit it with a wire wheel then hit it with a Weedburner......The Harbor Freight one is the BEST!!! Then wash it out, preferably with a power washer, hit it with the weedburner again and then season. Of course if you don't have a power washer, wire wheel or weedburner then I apoligize for telling you what to do with things you don't have.:confused: