TG Turkey smoke...maybe not?

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Been planning on smoking a turkey the last couple weeks on my UDS. Now the day is almost here, and they are calling for a high temp of 20 degrees and 10-20 mph wind, which means wind chill below zero. I'm pretty sure the drum can handle it if I do some creative wind blocking, but what about the Maverick-73. Has anyone used it in these temps? Cold and electronics don't generally go together.

Maybe leave it close to the drum, there will probably be a warmer area close to the drum. Personally, I would not risk it. Run the turkey in the drum for 2 hours, then bring it in and finish in the oven, where the Maverick will be fine.

we are supposed to be -20 wind chills tomorrow. i have been scrambling trying to come up with blanket type insulation that can take 300+ degrees with out melting or leaving itchy fibers on my bird.(fiberglass) not coming up with anything. any ideas?

Don't give up on a good smoke!!!!
Get some cheap hand warmers to lay around the Mav, or as stated, just keep it close to the drum, maybe throw a rag/towel on it too to keep some of the radiant heat from the drum to keep it cozy. I'd say it'll likely be fine anyway.

I've cooked with my Weber remote thermo in the rain, cold, everything (within reason) and no issues. Some creative wind blockage and maybe a blankey for the drum will help lots.

So far in recent holiday cooks, I've pulled off great things in the midst of rain, snow, sleet, wind, and COLD. NEVER regret toughing it out.

We're forecasted with heavy rain, wind and thunderstorms, but you can bet your arse my two turks are goin on the stick burner as planned! I'll utilize tarp, rope, EZup, whatever it takes!!

SMOKE ON!!!:becky:

we are supposed to be -20 wind chills tomorrow. i have been scrambling trying to come up with blanket type insulation that can take 300+ degrees with out melting or leaving itchy fibers on my bird.(fiberglass) not coming up with anything. any ideas?

How much heat will those water heater jackets take? Or how about a welding blanket? That should take some heat.

Maybe leave it close to the drum, there will probably be a warmer area close to the drum. Personally, I would not risk it. Run the turkey in the drum for 2 hours, then bring it in and finish in the oven, where the Maverick will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Been planning on smoking a turkey the last couple weeks on my UDS. Now the day is almost here, and they are calling for a high temp of 20 degrees and 10-20 mph wind, which means wind chill below zero. I'm pretty sure the drum can handle it if I do some creative wind blocking, but what about the Maverick-73. Has anyone used it in these temps? Cold and electronics don't generally go together.

your maverick will be fine. i have used mine at much lower temps without problem. the unit will display as low as 14 F, so i am quite positive your balmy 20 wont even phase it. remember wind chill is only a theory that factors in elevated heat loss rates from heat generating objects (like living critters). they have no effect on things like your wireless thermo. unless the wind blows it off the table.:-D hope this helps ease your concerns.

as far as the wind on the drum i did a turkey a couple weeks ago at about 35 degrees and rain,and it came out fine. as noted just open the garage doors. most of the smoke will blow or get sucked out but you will be able to shield the drum from direct wind.

good luck, and happy turkey day.

tip: if anybody has any of the old green wool army blankets...they make great insulation for a drum. :thumb:

10 F and windy as hell, and she is holding 315 with only 2 holes open.

You should be fine with those temps. Done it a bunch of times with no need to insulate anything. Keep your therm on the downwind side if you can. Put something in front of your air intake to block the wind. Good luck and go for it!!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Back