Flying with Q

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, going to be flying to Florida in February and taking about 40 pounds of Q with me. I'm flying southwest which has a two bag limit. My initial reaction was one bag for my clothes and fishing stuff. And then a cooler filled with frozen Q. But how do I keep the cooler closed and secured and allow TSA to inspect? Second option was to ship the Q down to Florida. What do you think? Could I just UPS frozen Q in a styro cooler made for immunizations? Very thick walled. Over nighting is very expensive. But with it being February, and the Q frozen....do you think it would make it there healthy and happy?

What would you do? If I UPS it I get to carry two bags of kayaking and fishing stuff...which is good. If I carry it on in a cooler I would get a cheapo cooler and leave it there, but less stuff to take with me, could mail it though. Weigh in please!

I know the dry ice is only good for 48 hours. So overnight is really your only option if you go that route.

Yak when I came back from Alaska I brought back 50lbs. of halibut. All I did was freeze it solid then I wrapped it in newspaper to act as insulation and then ywo garabage bags and packed my clothes around it in my suitcase. After a 13 hour flight and about 2 hours of driving to get home it was fine and still very much frozen. So your trip should be no problem. Then again when I went there I shipped all my fishing stuff up by UPS and only brought a carry on.

Yeah, shippiong all my fishing stuff is an option. Quite honestly last feb I drove down in my pick up with a cooler full of frozen PP. Three day trip down. The stuff was frozen solid. I mean solid. No ice, no dry ice, no insulation other than the cooler. Still hard as a brick.

How would you seal a cooler for use in the plane? I don't trust the usual locks, they will definitely open too easily. Maybe put on a hasp? Scott

Every time I fly back from New Mexico, I bring back a care package of forzen green chilies and or food. I have always brought it back frozen, wrapped it in newspaper and either put it in my luggage or in a cardboard box or a styrofoam cooler. Most of the time I put it in the checked baggage as it travels at nice cool temps, but have also carried it on too. Not sure what current regs are so you may want to check with the airline. Never had a problem yet. I aways use tape so if they want to look at it, they can. Hope this helps.

If you can get a couple of collapsible cooler bags from Sam's you should be able to split the pork between two bags. If the product is frozen it will be just fine when you get there. Put one inside one of your checked bags if you don't have a weight issue, and carry the other one. I know you won't have a problem checking it. Double check with TSA prior to going to the airport about the carry on, but it should be fine.

Do NOT use dry ice. It's considered HAZMAT.

Edit:Here is a link to the bags. http://www.californiainnovations.com/products/ci/coolers/thermal-tote/

How would you seal a cooler for use in the plane? I don't trust the usual locks, they will definitely open too easily. Maybe put on a hasp? Scott

Maybe use one of these straps that they use on luggage.

31AQ4FS8ZZL._AA280_.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm allowed 2 kilo's of dry ice, but am sure I don't need it. Putting the cooler in a bag is a very good idea. Would solve many of my issues. I'm sure it will stay frozen for the whole 8 hour duration of the trip. The strap is also a good idea. Thanks a bunch guys!

Out of Houston Southwest only charges $25.00 for an additional bag sometimes they let you slide if you pay the $10.00 for priority boarding. $25.00 is cheaper than shipping and you can still pack your fishing gear.

Just tape your cooler closed with shipping tape. TSA is guaranteed to open it, but they will re-tape it for you. I travel with BBQ quite frequently.

Back