The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Check Out My Thighs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166482)

Teamfour 07-21-2013 06:22 PM

Check Out My Thighs

1 Attachment(s)
This is my last practice chicken cook before our first pro comp next weekend. One thing I noticed is that the bone on one end tends to stick out a little. I prefer to trim only one knuckle. Any comments are welcome.

Smokin'Butts 07-21-2013 06:29 PM

Those look really good! One thing I see is the top row, first 2 pieces seem to be darker than the rest. It may just be the picture though. Keep it up and good luck!

sdbbq1234 07-21-2013 06:54 PM

Looks good to me. You should be up therein the scoring!

Just wish we could be there. Good luck!

wallace

Bentley 07-21-2013 07:27 PM

Does that matter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin'Butts (Post 2559815)
One thing I see is the top row, first 2 pieces seem to be darker than the rest.

WineMaster 07-21-2013 07:51 PM

Looks good! Good luck.

Outnumbered 07-21-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 2559867)
Does that matter?

It depends on the judge. If you have more choices where color and size match better, you'll be better to use those...assuming everything else is the same. Assume judges are looking for a reason to either score you down or not score you so high.

But those look really good.

ViciousGame 07-21-2013 09:50 PM

I like how those thighs look. I think you're on the right track there. The garnish will help pull them together and cover up any asymmetry. They look nice and plump...my eyes tell me they would taste good. I don't care if they are slightly different in size. I'm only looking at the meat: Would I eat that chicken? Yes, I would.

Limp Brisket 07-21-2013 10:15 PM

They look great. You are ready for the chicken category as far as appearance is concerned.

loco_engr 07-22-2013 08:42 AM

IMHO, if the exposed bone is appearing to be burnt, that to me
would be a deduction.
Why not debone entirely?

b182evrclear 07-22-2013 09:40 AM

These look better then most entries I typically see. In person I'd probably give these a 9. As said already the color on the top middle one seems dark but it may be the pic. When I judge, one thing I look for is consistency in color and size but as long as they are close you wont get any deductions from me. It's not about all of them looking perfectly identical as that is not practical/possible. The color you have overall is spot on to me and I love the look of the sauce and skin (thin and even, GREAT!). Honestly, I would change nothing except the color on the top middle one. Get that down and it should be 9's from everyone. Really nice job!!

mobow 07-22-2013 09:50 AM

You got it. Put them in the box neatly and they should do well on appearance. Keith

Teamfour 07-22-2013 10:21 AM

Thanks all for the comments. I am a little concerned with the bone appearing burned, but should be able to hide that with garnish. I'm not sure how that happened since it hasn't happened before. As for the taste, the flavor and tenderness was off the charts. I know I'm biased, but honestly, I think they were spot on. We will see this weekend.

MarleyMan 07-22-2013 10:49 AM

Nice looking Yardbird :thumb:

Pelkster 07-22-2013 12:40 PM

I don't think the bones being burnt would be a problem. I only deknuckle one side, and I have the same problem with the other side. I've gotten really good scores (multiple top 10's) turning in chicken that looks pretty much like yours. Don't change a thing. That does look pretty damn tasty!

Mad About Que 07-22-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamfour (Post 2560448)
Thanks all for the comments. I am a little concerned with the bone appearing burned, but should be able to hide that with garnish. I'm not sure how that happened since it hasn't happened before. As for the taste, the flavor and tenderness was off the charts. I know I'm biased, but honestly, I think they were spot on. We will see this weekend.

where ya competing this weekend?