slicer For brisket

smokinit

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am getting a slicer for roast beef and other things on my vending truck. Has anyone used one on brisket. I am thinking it might make it go farther with the uniform cuts and speed things up for me when I do 6 or so at a clip.

I've seen restaurants use a slicer for Brisket, thinner cuts go farther but you need to undercook so it holds together. :cool:

I've seen restaurants use a slicer for Brisket, thinner cuts go farther but you need to undercook so it holds together. :cool:

We use a hobart slicer on our brisket when we are baggin it up. I let it cool completly in the walkin then cut in half and slice away. It makes short work of it.

We use a hobart slicer on our brisket when we are baggin it up. I let it cool completly in the walkin then cut in half and slice away. It makes short work of it.

I was thinking that route to that it would be easier to slice. Thanks Bro!!

Have not but a brisket on a slicer yet. for multiple briskets, we have always used an electric knife.

Would love to see a pic of your vending truck.

Here ya go

000_0313.jpg

000_0311.jpg

000_0307.jpg

Are you slicing them cold then warming in a steam table?

Do you think you'll have to add broth to keep moist on warm-up?

We slice it cold and bag it up in 5lb food saver bags. Reheat in simmering 140-160 degree water. It can sit in the water for as long as you like without over cooking. The bag holds all the original moisture from the meat in. I do leave a little extra fat when I trim though. Do the same thing with my tri tip. Takes about 20 minutes to reheat each bag.

If I'm doing more than 2 or 3 briskets, I use my slicer all the time. Normally package it in 1 or 2 pound vac-u-suck bags for my customers now.

I tried the electric knife routine back when I was doing 12 briskets a shot for NASCAR but it just couldn't make it through 2 without starting to over heat. I would usually package it a flat or a point to a bag. It fit a 1/2 pan just right.

You do need to under-cook it just a tad because you (or at least I) tend to slice it a little thinner. Also if you are worrying about it drying out, reserve the resting liquid (I normally add either apple juice or beef broth) and add it back before serving.

The one thing to remember is that some of them are a royal pain to clean. Just some thing to keep in mind.

Good Luck!

Back