The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need Opinions about first UDS attempt (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92072)

Bartkowiakj 09-09-2010 09:02 PM

Need Opinions about first UDS attempt

Just made my first UDS and tried my first burn tonight after I sprayed everything with Pam. I am using a garbage can cover for an ash collector at the bottom of the barrel with the fire bowl (16"diameter x 9" high) up 3.5" from the ash collector. My first grate is approx 2 " from the top of the barrel and the next one is approx 8" below that. I poured 2 Weber chimneys of charcoal in the fire bowl and lit the 3rd and poured that in the fire bowl. I opened all vents for about an hour and the temp reached a high of 450-475 on the second rack and about 50degrees less on the top rack. I then corked 3 of the vents and the temp fell to about 225-250 and stayed pretty steady for about the last 4 hours. I think the coals may be dying down now. I am wondering if everything sounds ok to start cooking or should I be modifying something? If so, what?
Also -- any ideas on what to use for the first cook and still be good to the wife (nothing spicy). Any recipes. Was thinking of brisket or shoulder but looking to each off you for your opinion and especially if I am good to go.

Boshizzle 09-09-2010 09:15 PM

Shoulder is hard to mess up, so it might be a good choice for a first cook. As long as your temps stay in the 225 to 290 range, you should be good to go.

Personally, I only need about 12 - 15 briquettes poured on top of a chimney of unlit briquettes, but you might need more for a longer cook. I also use a diffuser.

Go for it! Just keep your temps under control (which should be easy with a UDS) and you will be fine.

N8man 09-09-2010 09:17 PM

Sounds like you're good to go...
Traditionally the First Cook of Choice is a Fatty.....

Paul B 09-09-2010 09:25 PM

Do a quick and easy chicken, or two or three. Then jump to ribs and then to the long cook of a butt. My first butt took 11 hours, typical. My second butt only took 6 hours. Used the hot and fast method and (I) couldn't tell the difference nor anyone else. So my future method will be the hot and fast. Yours may very.

Smoke on............

Paul B
SS UDs
SS Auspit
SS ROL

Boshizzle 09-09-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1397234)
Do a quick and easy chicken, or two or three. Then jump to ribs and then to the long cook of a butt. My first butt took 11 hours, typical. My second butt only took 6 hours. Used the hot and fast method and (I) couldn't tell the difference nor anyone else. So my future method will be the hot and fast. Yours may very.

Smoke on............

Paul B
SS UDs
SS Auspit
SS ROL

+1- hot and fast! Four hours cook time, 2 hours rest.

chaddie 09-09-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 1397221)
Sounds like you're good to go...
Traditionally the First Cook of Choice is a Fatty.....

N8man said it, but my first cook was a whole chic, not to hard to screw up, but I'd do a Fatty>

citrus 09-09-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1397234)

Smoke on............

Paul B
SS UDs
SS Auspit
SS ROL

I agree

blackdog043 09-09-2010 09:33 PM

I think you have it right. Just remember that you may have to adjust your intakes with different weather conditions, to get your temps where you want them.
First cook I'd go with a fatty and a butt. This way you can snack on the fatty while your butt is still cooking.

Boshizzle 09-09-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdog043 (Post 1397245)
I think you have it right. Just remember that you may have to adjust your intakes with different weather conditions, to get your temps where you want them.
First cook I'd go with a fatty and a butt. This way you can snack on the fatty while your butt is still cooking.

I like your approach! Chicken, ironically, is much harder than a butt.

Captain Dave 09-10-2010 05:47 AM

A shoulder or butt would be my choice to break in a uds. They are very forgiving and will allow you to have temperature fluctuations as you go thru the learning curve you get with any new smoker. Slight as it may be with a uds. Best tip I can give you is that it takes less wood then you think too... and time. Last one I did came out really good with only two fist size chunks and somewhere around 8 hours @ 225. Save the brisket for when you get temp control down perfect.

Ron_L 09-10-2010 06:35 AM

I'm on the fence between two schools of thought.

1. Cook something cheap and quick like chicken - this gives you almost instant gratification and you can brag sooner :-D

2. Cook something low and slow like a butt. This let's you learn fire control and the butt is very forgiving in case the temps get out of control. Plus, when you brag you can tell folks that it cooked for Xx hours :-D

Either way a naked fatty is mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkJeep 09-10-2010 12:05 PM

As others have said a fatty is a must. As for changes, maybe try only lighting 10-12 coals. Also what type of garbage can lid are you using? Is it galvn? If so, I'd steer clear of that mod. Good luck!!!

1FUNVET 09-10-2010 01:22 PM

MOINK'S and a fatty :thumb:

expatpig 09-10-2010 02:21 PM

Cook everything, and enjoy it!

bob80001 09-10-2010 02:22 PM

Do a butt, and toss on a couple of ABT's so you have some appetizers early on...