The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43819)

bowhnter 06-04-2008 07:46 AM

Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states

ATLANTA - An outbreak of salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has now been reported in nine states, U.S health officials said Tuesday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24951023/

bbqbull 06-04-2008 05:22 PM

Will it ever end?

THanks for sharing this news Mike.

Mo-Dave 06-05-2008 01:09 PM

Don;t know if this has anything to do with this but late last night I went to Walmart after work and picked up a couple tomatoes. The checker told me she was not going to be able to ring up the tomatoes and she did not know why but every time she tried it would not work and this had been going on all night. I told her about the salmonella and tomatoes but she did not know anything about that. I live in Mo. but it is not on the list and wonder if Walmart has issued a blanket freeze on tomatoes in all its stores like it did peanut butter awhile back.
Dave

Jorge 06-05-2008 02:18 PM

I was at my local gas station/convenience store yesterday and the clerk got the call that they could not sell sandwiches for a while! They have a 'Blimpie' franchise built in, and I guess the decision was made to stop selling sandwiches completely, rather than just selling them without tomatoes? I stood there while the guy asked multiple times..... He had to be talking to somebody that didn't have a clue? Right?

Mo-Dave 06-06-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge (Post 655695)
I was at my local gas station/convenience store yesterday and the clerk got the call that they could not sell sandwiches for a while! They have a 'Blimpie' franchise built in, and I guess the decision was made to stop selling sandwiches completely, rather than just selling them without tomatoes? I stood there while the guy asked multiple times..... He had to be talking to somebody that didn't have a clue? Right?

That sounds like topical corporate at work, lets throw out the baby with the bathwater.:confused:
Dave

Pitbull 06-06-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 655636)
Don;t know if this has anything to do with this but late last night I went to Walmart after work and picked up a couple tomatoes. The checker told me she was not going to be able to ring up the tomatoes and she did not know why but every time she tried it would not work and this had been going on all night. I told her about the salmonella and tomatoes but she did not know anything about that. I live in Mo. but it is not on the list and wonder if Walmart has issued a blanket freeze on tomatoes in all its stores like it did peanut butter awhile back.
Dave

This doesn't involve all tomatos. I was at Wal-mart at lunch and all the tomatos were pulled of of the produce shelf except the round, cherry and ones attached to the vine.

FatDaddy 06-07-2008 10:29 AM

Front page of paper today was confirmed cases of salmonella here locally in wichita falls, I tossed out what tomatoes i had here at the house and will wait for it to clear before we buy any more.

NotleyQue 06-07-2008 11:32 AM

Tomatoes now. WTF

Smokin J 06-07-2008 01:38 PM

Thats why you got to grow your own. You only get fresh tomatoes for a few months out of the year, depending on where you live, but its worth it. And there's a bonus......No diseases!

Al 06-09-2008 09:31 AM

Tomatoes have been pulled here in Iowa as well. I have been to two Wal-Marts. One in Oskaloosa and one in Grinnell, and neither one has Tomatoes. Instead they have signs apologizing for not having tomatoes due to a recall. They did not say what the recall was for. So I am guessing that this is the reason why.

MRI_Guy 06-10-2008 12:31 PM

Firstly - I hope that all brethren and their families are OK.

Secondly - I have always believed that tomatoes were the devil's fruit. Especially after Crazy Lucy made me eat them has a child.......

Sawdustguy 06-10-2008 03:37 PM

I talked the proprietor of our local Pizza Place has said he tossed all of their commercially purchased tomato products and has made a purchase from a local grower. It looks like Mama will be making fresh Marinara Suace.