The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Too hot to BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151077)

JohnHB 01-07-2013 08:47 PM

Too hot to BBQ

Some like it hot. Well in Sydney it is now 107F at 1:30pm and expected to rise to 109F later this day. There are a number of out of control bush fires on out Eastern Seaboard. We have a total fire ban. So only enclosed BBQs but with the heat it better inside.

Bludawg 01-07-2013 08:54 PM

I thought you OZ guys where a hardy lot. that's a typical day 6-9 months out of the year in Tx. Pop a top and burn some meat mate.

flyingbassman5 01-07-2013 08:55 PM

Sizzlin'!! Over the summer I did a cook when in the triple digits and I much prefer to cook in the winter now. Its easier to stay warm than to stay cool!

jeffsee 01-07-2013 08:56 PM

I say this with all the love in the world for a fellow brethren: Sc)/!w You!

In "balmy" West Bend, Wisconsin we have a sweltering 32 degrees Fahrenheit as I speak.

JazzyBadger 01-07-2013 09:01 PM

Blue took the thoughts right out of my head. You guys typically don't get a lot of wildfires out there? I figured that would be a typically seasonal thing. The heat sounds like what I'm used to dealing with. About 95º in the shade, but we do get a lot of humidity here... I imagine it's more of a dry heat where you are.

IamMadMan 01-07-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHB (Post 2320891)
Some like it hot. Well in Sydney it is now 107F at 1:30pm and expected to rise to 109F later this day. There are a number of out of control bush fires on out Eastern Seaboard. We have a total fire ban. So only enclosed BBQs but with the heat it better inside.

Sounds like you can just put sliced meat in the cooker without fire and come back later and you will have jerky without the use of fire.

Stay inside and be safe...

bbqbull 01-07-2013 09:07 PM

I cooked a pork butt in 33 degree weather with 30 mph gusts of wind today.
Windchill was 17 when the butt went on.
I have bbq'd in temps over a hundred here and very humid.
I live in Michigan......gotta go with the flow here.

chriscw81 01-07-2013 09:15 PM

wait!! so the fire ban means you can't even BBQ?

JohnHB 01-07-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2320898)
I thought you OZ guys where a hardy lot. that's a typical day 6-9 months out of the year in Tx. Pop a top and burn some meat mate.

Hey isn't TX that small U.S. state that can fit into a number of our Northern Territory cattle station?
The heat in Sydney is a humid heat. Today is likely to be the third highest on record.
This evening I will be BBQing a marinated boned leg of lamb so I am not wimping it out altogether.
Great sharing the responses - lots of fun for a new member.

JohnHB 01-07-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscw81 (Post 2320929)
wait!! so the fire ban means you can't even BBQ?

It means no open fires

Meat & Heat 01-07-2013 09:23 PM

Man I wish I could have even half those temps right know.
We havent been above 25 for the past month, lows have been @0 -15.
Looks like we may hit 30 on friday.
Time to break out the shorts:loco:

mbshop 01-07-2013 09:29 PM

you can keep yer heat ! i get enough to last me till feb-march. then i start wanting the heat back. sorry to read about the fires.

JohnHB 01-08-2013 12:39 AM

My State, NSW, has 141 reported bush fires currently burning with over 40 out of control!!!!! We need a rain storm but that is unlikely soon.
Tasmania has been suffering from many fire for around a week with lots of homes lost. The Red Cross (always in action early) has an appeal running for the Tasmanian victims.
Australia is a land of extremes! Bush fires, floods, feast and famine - and we like to play/follow many sports. Great place to live.

VoodoChild 01-08-2013 12:46 AM

I Live in Phx. Az and our summer temps are very similar ...I Love Firing the smoker in summer ..I get the most steady temps and good burn rates .
Its hot but Im amazed at the the steady temps the cooker holds.
Hope you guys get those fires under control.

code3rrt 01-08-2013 09:01 AM

Yeppers, I'm with ya, keep it to the evenigs in a nice covered/shaded area, Glad to hear you're not stopping the Q altogether, the lead-in almost scared me a little bit!:razz: