Going to Virgil's tomorrow

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
We're taking the product management team from a newly acquired company to dinner tomorrow night to NYC to see Times Square. (Some are from the the company's England/UK division).

My director likes BBQ and knows I like it, the UK team from the new company never really had BBQ in England or been to NYC.

So, I got invited to and we're taking them on a limo ride to NYC, dinner at Virgil's BBQ in midtown and then walk around the city a while.

I'll have to check the old threads for any reviews of Virgil's. I'm sure BQ or BYC must have posted a review at some point.

Haven't been to Virgil's in years. It was always fairly spotty on quality. Ribs always tended to be a bit burnt and towards the expensive side.

It's got a great feel to the place and a pretty good beer selection.

Are you going to NYC just to get to a BBQ joint?

Well, mainly going to NYC so they can see the city and walk around after dinner. A BBQ place was the bosses idea. They are here all week and will be eating at regular places the rest of the time in LI.

I recommended the Cookhouse in CT as it's almost the same distance and the cost and travel are all covered as a business expense. I really wanted to see if the pic of us and Smoker is actually on the wall but the decision was that it was going to be dinner in NYC. Virgil's was a more ideal location for them to walk around mid-town after dinner rather than Blue Smoke or RUB.

If they're beer drinkers, you may want to try Spankys around the corner from Virgils. It's part of the Heartland Brewery chain and they have some outstanding brews.

Or, call Daisy Mays 212-977-1500 and set up a pig picking dinner. It'll be a whole pork shoulder, sides etc. And they share the building with the Penthouse club.

virgil's is good. like BQ said it has a "real authentic" feel to it, but in my opinion the ribs were texas style(misquite). very similar to poppa ricks in taste and portion size(pretty big). not bad, but maybe not what you are used to.

phil

What a long night !!!

Got 10 Virgil's at 6PM. Had a reservation for 10....

I had the Memphis ribs (dry) and brisket with beans and Mac & cheese with cornbread and sweet tea.

I liked the ribs overall. Very big ribs (spares). It was a dry rib which was fine by me, but it was not real crusty. Membrane was on which I expected. It was cooked well, fall of the bone but not a messy fall of the bone. fine for a restaurant. Excellent smoke flavor.

I was not as impressed with the brisket. Good smoke flavor. Minimal smoke ring but sliced very, very thin and fell apart a bit too much.

The England crew had a mixed bag of everything so I sampled theirs as they knew I wanted to test.

The pulled pork was very dry. Must have been sitting in the sauce all day and just kept warm.

I tried the Owensboro Lamb. Only one bite but I liked it very much.

I also tried the KC Fried Chicken - pretty good skin and quite moist.

The sweet tea was excellent and so was the mac & cheese although it was a very small portion. Beans were typical with BBQ sauce and some chopped brisket in it.

Did not stay for dessert as we walked the 7 Englanders around the city.

All over Times Square, Rockfeller Center - went to the top floor observatory on the 67th floor so the can see the entire city. We walked and also went into Trump Tower as they wanted to see it

Then went down to Battery Park area by the SI Ferry so they can see the Statue of Liberty.

Then the sad part was going to Ground Zero at about 10PM... Quite a few people there. Very lit up, but still a depressing hole in the ground. It was my first visit there... Brought back a lot of memories.

I'm shot and have to go to work by 8:30 tomorrow.....

Great Read Vinny.

Sounds like they got close, very close on the BBQ.
In the world of commercial BBQ, I admire that :lol:

Thanks,

TIM

Back