• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HnF Brisky Help

J

JasonB

I tried my first HnF brisket on Sunday. The wife wanted brisket and I knew I didn't have enough time to do low and slow, so I gave it a whirl. The brisket was a 9.66lb trimmed packer from Wal-Mart (I didn't know till afterward for HnF you want more fat). This packer was trimmed well. Very little fat left on it.

First off this was cooked on an Old Country offset. I used a small bag of Kigsford for the base coals then switched over to mesquite for the rest of the cook. The temp ran from 300F-350F for most of the cook. A couple of times it dipped down around 275 but not for long.

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about the process so I basically left it alone. Never wrapped it in foil or anything. Just cooked it. I never really got it to probe butter smooth, but got it as tender as I thought it would end up. I first checked it at 190F and I guess I let too much time go by as the next check was at 198. I finally pulled it at 201.

The brisket had a great flavor and everything was perfect other than it was a tad on the dry side. However, I wonder if that was due to the fact that this was a well trimmed packer.

I put this brisket on at 11:20 AM and it came off about 5:15. It only got to rest in foil and a towel for about 40 minutes since everyone was complaining they were starving to death.

looks pretty good honestly. my only thoughts on brisket are, it could have been butter well before 190*, or it needed to go to 210* for butter. every brisket is a bit different, some take shorter time, some longer.

also, typically, a HNF uses foil @ 160*(i think), or @ 2-3 hours in.

Thanks. For some reason, during my super fast reading on Sunday AM tryingto figure this out, I never really saw the mention of foil. I read one person that even said to resist the urge to foil. I will try the foil next time.

You say it was dry. Did you inject? Most of the cooks that I know that cook Hot and Fast brisket inject to prevent drying out the meat.

Try letting it rest a bit longer next time. Usually when I do HnF I try to let them rest for about 1.5 hours at the least (wrapped and coolered).

You said that the temps were swinging 275-350. Beef can be picky about temps so you may want to get more consistent with the temp of the pit and not let it swing so much. But honestly it looks really good!

I hope your guests shut the fark up after eating it. It looks good from here. Going to pull the trigger and do one myself this weekend.

Looks good to me, too. I always allow extra time. I prefer a two hour rest, but three or four hours won't hurt a thing.

BTW, dry brisket is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart when you try to slice it. When cooking H&F the temp when the meat is done is usually higher than at lower temps.

BTW, dry brisket is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart when you try to slice it. When cooking H&F the temp when the meat is done is usually higher that at lower temps.

Good to know... I have been having issues with them probing good, but not being as tender as I would like. Thanks for the tip.

Your temp and time should be fine for that size brisket. I tend to trim my briskets pretty lean but wrap it in butcher paper (or foil would work) for the last two hours. In effect it steams the meat and helps break it down and retain moisture. Then let sit until you can't resist any more. I also think taking it to 200+ is necessary to really render the fat within the meat. Keep in mind the brisket is the fattiest cut and there is a lot of fat other than what you see on the exterior. Otherwise the pics look great

Looks good to me, too. I always allow extra time. I prefer a two hour rest, but three or four hours won't hurt a thing.

BTW, dry brisket is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart when you try to slice it. When cooking H&F the temp when the meat is done is usually higher than at lower temps.

I'm with Ron on this one. HnF usually finish at a higher temperature for me. I've been as high as 210 before the feel is right.

I like some fat in my brisket. This one just seemed way too lean. It was trimmed down to no fat. Maybe I am associating that with dryness. It cut fine, pull test was good and bend test was good.

Two things I will definitely do next time. Foil at 160 and go with a fatter packer and use choice as well.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm with Ron on this one. HnF usually finish at a higher temperature for me. I've been as high as 210 before the feel is right.

210 :wacko:? I would have never made it to 210 lol. I would have panicked for sure and had it off. I really like this style of cooking. Way better than being up all dang night and wore smooth out by the time guest shows up. I am going to practice it again this weekend. I have to cook 500 pounds (roughly 30 briskets) of brisket for our annual VFD fundraiser in less than a month. Would like to have this down by then to use on that cook.

Ok then. Go with more fat, finish to a temp instead of feel and you'll have the same problem next time.

I didn't say I was going to finish to a temp? I said I never WOULD have made it. My mind would have told me I missed the sweet spot and I woulda yanked it.

Now that I am researching more, I will ignore the temp completely.

210 :wacko:? I would have never made it to 210 lol. I would have panicked for sure and had it off. I really like this style of cooking. Way better than being up all dang night and wore smooth out by the time guest shows up. I am going to practice it again this weekend. I have to cook 500 pounds (roughly 30 briskets) of brisket for our annual VFD fundraiser in less than a month. Would like to have this down by then to use on that cook.

If you want to get it down, go get a cheap flat and do the night train brisket in the oven lesson that Pitmaster T outlines. It will show you the perfect "feel" for finishing a brisket. If you don't want to ruin those 500 lbs of brisket coming up, spend $20 on that cheap flat and get on the night train express!

YA, I've got to read up on that thread this evening.

I've been doing the VFD cooking for a few years now. About 10 of us get together and kick it all off around 8PM the night before. We do shifts and have it all sliced/chopped and ready to serve by 5PM the next day. If nothing else, I guess I could stick with the low and slow for that cook until I get this refined.

You didn't cook it long enough! H & F need to go to like 215-225 that is where most of mine are at when they come off. Then at least a min 2 hr rest. I don't use a thermo during the Cook I use the "Cowpoke Therma pen" but I do monitor the temp once it is off the pit I let mine rest until they have coasted down to 150 that takes about 2 hrs.

The Cow Poke Therma pen

Back