The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hot and Fast Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78520)

Diver 02-16-2010 06:47 PM

Thanks all! I have a long business trip coming up so I took off today and worked in one last smoke. My wife is convinced I miss the smokers more than her and the kids when I'm away. I'm pretty sure she's wrong.:icon_devil

Jay Bird 02-16-2010 06:55 PM

That's a testament for hot & fast. Looks mighty fine.
I remember the log but forget the pictures.:rolleyes:

MattG 02-16-2010 06:56 PM

Hot and Fast is the way to go.

bigabyte 02-16-2010 07:07 PM

Looks like you nailed it! Very nice!:cool:

Dave Russell 02-16-2010 07:14 PM

If 275 degrees is considered "hot and fast", I guess I'm in that camp. That just seems to work great, foiling in the 160-170 range.

However, don't a lot of folks, including Myron Mixon, consider 350 degrees the "hot and fast" target temp? I've only tried it once that hot, and it was ok, but I think I'll stick to 275 unless someone can convince me that 350 is better. After all, that's roasting, then braising, and actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke a brisket at 275 and never foil with decent results... if it was a really good piece of beef and your pit cooked even and had good moisture.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

ZILLA 02-16-2010 07:38 PM

That looks great!! So how hot and how fast?

dudz 02-16-2010 07:52 PM

Those slices look good...did you use an electric knife ?

thillin 02-16-2010 08:01 PM

nice...

kirk fortin 02-16-2010 08:06 PM

Yeah thats a smokin brisket man....Wish i could taste that one

Diver 02-16-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Russell (Post 1184550)
If 275 degrees is considered "hot and fast", I guess I'm in that camp. That just seems to work great, foiling in the 160-170 range.

However, don't a lot of folks, including Myron Mixon, consider 350 degrees the "hot and fast" target temp? I've only tried it once that hot, and it was ok, but I think I'll stick to 275 unless someone can convince me that 350 is better. After all, that's roasting, then braising, and actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke a brisket at 275 and never foil with decent results... if it was a really good piece of beef and your pit cooked even and had good moisture.

Dave

Not sure what the technical definition is but it was hot and fast for me. :-D

"That looks great!! So how hot and how fast?"

The center grate temp was pretty steady at 275 with a spike at @300. 6 hrs from beginning to slices including a 1 hr rest.

"Those slices look good...did you use an electric knife ?"

The wife will love that one. It was my first chance to use the electric knife she got me for Christmas on a Brisket. :biggrin:

Dave Russell 02-16-2010 10:17 PM

I just realized how quick your 14.5 trimmed packer cooked! Five hours, at 275? Wow!

Every brisket I've ever cooked was more stubborn than that....that's FOR SURE. I started cooking briskets a little faster this way with DR. BBQ's method: In Ray Lampe's Shortcut Brisket recipe for a itty bitty 5-6 lb. flat, he says to cook at 275 for 3-4 hours until 160, then wrap in foil and start checking an hour later. That's a minimum of a four hour cook, for a piece of meat well less than half the weight and thickness you cooked! I've never cooked a flat that small, so I don't know if his time is right, but I just mention it for reference. He uses the same times for his Jalapeno brisket recipe, and I've never noticed any mistakes in the book before. Maybe someone will chime in, though.

Anyway, did you leave your probe in the flat while it was wrapped in foil on the cooker? I've done that, had it read 200 degrees and still be tough...can't go by temps while in the foil....but I guess it must've been tender enough. It looked pretty good.

Just curious as to the speed of the cook...I guess it could've been the magic of the UDS. I've been amazed at how fast I've gotten stuff done cooking directly above the coals, but then again, that's been when I flipped the meat ever so often.

Anyway, I think 275 is a fine temp to shoot for! I guess I'll start checking temps sooner.

Dave

texman02 02-16-2010 11:03 PM

That is farkin outstanding!

SMOKINBONES 02-16-2010 11:21 PM

Good lookin brisket!!! Nice

Diver 02-17-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Russell (Post 1184822)
I just realized how quick your 14.5 trimmed packer cooked! Five hours, at 275? Wow!

Every brisket I've ever cooked was more stubborn than that....that's FOR SURE. I started cooking briskets a little faster this way with DR. BBQ's method: In Ray Lampe's Shortcut Brisket recipe for a itty bitty 5-6 lb. flat, he says to cook at 275 for 3-4 hours until 160, then wrap in foil and start checking an hour later. That's a minimum of a four hour cook, for a piece of meat well less than half the weight and thickness you cooked! I've never cooked a flat that small, so I don't know if his time is right, but I just mention it for reference. He uses the same times for his Jalapeno brisket recipe, and I've never noticed any mistakes in the book before. Maybe someone will chime in, though.

Anyway, did you leave your probe in the flat while it was wrapped in foil on the cooker? I've done that, had it read 200 degrees and still be tough...can't go by temps while in the foil....but I guess it must've been tender enough. It looked pretty good.

Just curious as to the speed of the cook...I guess it could've been the magic of the UDS. I've been amazed at how fast I've gotten stuff done cooking directly above the coals, but then again, that's been when I flipped the meat ever so often.

Anyway, I think 275 is a fine temp to shoot for! I guess I'll start checking temps sooner.

Dave

I didn't really know what to expect since I had not cooked this way before.(intentionally) I typically do not use a temp probe for the meat. I used an instant read this time because I wanted to document what was happening. It was at 165 at the 3 hr mark which surprised me but I went with it and foiled. At the 5 hr mark, it was 200 and the probe went in like buttah so I pulled and rested. Again, I was surprised. The UDS definitely cooks faster than my offset. On a low and slow cook, the UDS trims 2-3 hours from what my offset takes with same meat and similar temps. I can't speak to the physics of it, I just try to adjust the techniques based on the smoker used. I do not flip briskets on the UDS nor do I mop. I put it on fat side down and leave it alone.

Dr_KY 02-17-2010 05:54 AM

Beautifil brisket!!!!!!!