The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Costco now has "Mystery Rack" ribs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159573)

sdbbq1234 04-26-2013 04:27 PM

Costco now has "Mystery Rack" ribs

So I went to Costco here in Leesburg, VA the other day to get some ribs. All they carry is baby back or St Louis style.

Well, the days of last year when they had 2 racks per pack is gone. They jumped on the "Mystery Rack" wagon.

3 racks per package. Bummer! Not having much choice around here, I grabbed a pack. And of course, the middle rack was very small and almost deformed looking. Sucks!

For comps, I sure I get lucky with the packages going forward; not holding my breath.

wallace

ViciousGame 04-26-2013 05:35 PM

It's a shiners conspiracy!

Mahoney86 04-26-2013 05:37 PM

I was dissapointed in the switch to 3 racks also. The ribs are half decent taste wise, little fat on them, minimal trimming, however out of the 3-4 packs of three I have cooked, I am yet to find one with any straight bones in them!

stl-rich 04-27-2013 02:56 PM

Costco is known for its return policy. Have you tried returning the mystery rack on the basis that it is not as good as the visible racks?

hedge 04-27-2013 08:42 PM

the store i go to never has a consistent supply. one time they will have spares and baby backs, then next time baby backs and loins. its super frustrating and i'm about to just give up on them.

landarc 04-27-2013 08:47 PM

Costco is also very responsive to complaints. Let the manager know that you are very unhappy with the move to three racks. Let him know that it does affect your purchasing satisfaction and maybe even show him why.

jketron 04-28-2013 09:23 AM

Ive used the 3 rack pack and had success with them

Jason TQ 04-28-2013 09:24 AM

I get crazy and buy the 4 packs from RD :loco:. Not too many issue with the 2 racks in the middle. I've been screwed just as much with 2 packs I thought looked good :becky:.

I have gotten the Costco ones for home use and they are decent.

Rub'n Wood BBQ 04-28-2013 09:30 AM

I noticed the 3-packs as well. The ones I picked up where not in cryo and wrapped by the butcher. Wonder if there is any value in chatting up the butchers there to see if they can put together custom packages on request - at least they could help with size consistency.

Gore 04-28-2013 10:39 AM

Our Costcos only sold the 3-packs for as long as I can remember. It was only relatively recently they also stocked the 2-packs. These are shipped and packed differently and may have different suppliers. I've had no problem with either. Yes, you cannot select as well with the 3-packs, but I've not gotten the idea they're trying to deceive with what I've purchased.

big matt 04-28-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jketron (Post 2462980)
Ive used the 3 rack pack and had success with them

Since you've had success with them can I ask how many walks and GC's do you have with these 3 packs?

Hawg Father of Seoul 04-28-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rub'n Wood BBQ (Post 2462991)
I noticed the 3-packs as well. The ones I picked up where not in cryo and wrapped by the butcher. Wonder if there is any value in chatting up the butchers there to see if they can put together custom packages on request - at least they could help with size consistency.

I bet they would break up some packs for you, provided you took two of the racks. I know Sams will do pretty much any thing you ask.

Podge 04-28-2013 12:27 PM

My costco has been on the mystery rack bandwagon for over a year now.. it sucks !!

jketron 04-28-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big matt (Post 2463049)
Since you've had success with them can I ask how many walks and GC's do you have with these 3 packs?

None, I've only competed once. I have cooked them several times. I haven't had shiners, the bones where straight, long, fairly flat, good meat.

sdbbq1234 04-28-2013 01:53 PM

So, I cooked all 3 racks yesterday. If I were cooking in a comp, I would have been in trouble as far as getting 6 straight ribs. Especially, from the same rack.

And the funny thing is, the rack that had the best and straightest ribs was the "Mystery Rack". But, those were small.

The package was from Framland, same as when they were 2 per pack.

Just not to sure what the hck is going on with meat these days.

I just picked up 2 packs of 2 ribs per package from RD for next weekend.

I'll be trimming those later today or tomorrow, so we will see.

wallace